Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 1, 2013

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

 
Tuesday, January 1, 2013 -- Mattie died 173 weeks ago today.


Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2008. Mattie was home recovering from his limb salvaging surgeries. We had a hospital bed in our living room and as you can see Mattie had a hand crafted wreath around his head. Mattie's art teacher, Debbie, had all his friends at school help create this gift for him. Mattie loved the messages on each of the green papered leaves. This wreath remains on the back of our front door even today.





Quote of the day: The house is eerily quiet. All this time I thought silence would be a welcome reprieve, but it's less comforting than I imagined. The house feels so much bigger and colder than it ever has. ~ Hannah Harrington


My mom and I went for a four mile walk today. We try to do this each day while I am here. Though the temperature was cold by California standards, for me in comparison to Washington, DC it was lovely. The sun was shining and the sky was that perfect sort of blue. The ironic part is when I get talking and walking I have no concept for time, laps, or distance. I can just keep on walking. Walking was one of those things I found early to be therapeutic for me after Mattie died.

While I was walking on this coast, Peter was walking on Roosevelt Island. However when I saw his photos from the Island, I could see the greyness of DC that I hate so much at this time of year. We had a quiet New Year's day together and to some extent I would say since Mattie's death I am somewhat disoriented to time and events. The only reason I know it is January is because of Foundation activities and deadlines upon me. The funny part is typically the fall season is a slower time for the Foundation, but this year that was not the case. We had a very productive fall, and as we roll into January, I have to hit the ground running on our two main events..... a Psychosocial Think Tank in California in February and our Annual Awareness Walk in May.

Wednesday is my last full day in California, since I fly home on Thursday afternoon. We want to wish all of our readers a very happy and healthy 2013. Thank you for supporting us and for checking in with us through the blog. This means a lot to us. Happy New Year!
 

No comments: