Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 2, 2016

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2008. Mattie was in his first month of chemotherapy, which was why he still had his hair. I remember this moment in time like it were yesterday. We were all in shock over Mattie's diagnosis. To help us acclimate to the clinic, Mattie's art therapists got us involved in painting a ceiling tile of the clinic. They knew Mattie loved Scooby Doo, so they sketched a Scooby Doo scene on the tile, and as a family we began to paint in the tile. It took us multiple visits to complete it, but while painting we forgot our worries for a bit of time. So it was then I realized how therapeutic art really is. This tile remained at Georgetown Hospital for the past six years. Now all the tiles are coming down and I either have to claim all of Mattie's tiles or they get thrown away. I have many feelings about the way the Hospital has handled the dismantling of the tiles and how this was conveyed to families. But I can elaborate on that in another post. 


Quote of the day: Painting is the silence of thought and the music of sight. ~ Orhan Pamuk


Last night my friend Ilona, a fellow bereaved mom of an only child, invited me to something called "Paint Nite." This event is held all over the Country, so literally you can sign up to paint anywhere. The events typically take place at a restaurant or bar and it is designed to be a fun way to gather with people and learn to paint. When you sign up on line, you can chose which scene or subject matter you want to paint. Each "paint nite" paints a different scene. Last night's scene was called Mystical Moon. So it is no surprise that I wanted to participate in last night's event. Ilona gave me different nights to select from, but the moon picture resonated with me and I figured if I am going to try "paint nite" I might as well select something I want to paint. 


Paint Nite is hosted by a local artist who literally walks you step by step through the painting process. She shows you how to prepare your canvas for painting and then over the course of the evening walks you through each step of the process until you have completed your painting. Because it is a social experience, the company also takes photos of you while you are working. So I have photos from the beginning to the end of the session and the company even posts the photos on Facebook. 








I honestly have NO IDEA how to paint, but with instruction and no pressure it helps tremendously. Unlike in an art class, no one is judging or commenting on your work. So literally you can just create and get absorbed in the moment. 

For two hours I was glued to my canvas, trying to figure out how to do what was being conveyed to us. It was like a mental escape in a way, because the whole time I was there I wasn't thinking of anything else. So that alone is therapeutic. 








I am so happy there was no one next to me because I literally took over my space and my neighbor's space, not to mention supplies! Paint Nite provides the canvas and all the supplies!


















The final product, which I entitled "Mattie Moon." In the photo is my friend Ilona and the woman in the center is Kara, the teacher. 


















Me, Ilona and Ilona's friend, Jennifer. Even though we were painting the SAME subject matter, you can see each painting is unique. 









A close up of Mattie Moon!

No comments: