Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 9, 2018

Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 -- Mattie died 473 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2006. This is one of my favorites of Mattie and me during a fall festival. So glad that Peter captured it. I think we were both intrigued by this HUGE white pumpkin, we decided to take a photo with it! The pumpkin was bigger than Mattie!


Quote of the day: Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one. ~ C.S. Lewis


I drove to Baltimore today to visit the Children's Hospital at Sinai, where Mattie Miracle has a free snack and item cart. I try to visit Sinai once a quarter. I would do it more often, but it can take me 90 minutes of commuting each way thanks to DC traffic. It is important for me to assess how the services we provide are actually working. I can get reports, which are helpful, but the true test for me is live interaction with patients and families. 

I go on hospital visits with no expectations. I feel this is vital because I remember all too well what it was like being confined in a hospital room for days on end. I truly disliked visitors and people entering into our space. Most likely because we had NO CONTROL over anything else in the hospital. I know some non-profits visit hospitals and want fanfare and cameras. The only reason I want cameras is to document to our supporters that their donations are making a difference. Nothing conveys this like a photo. 

Given some of the children and families I interacted with today, I opted not to disturb any of them with photographs. It just did not seem appropriate. However, this is the first time I pushed the Cart around and actually got several hugs from moms. They couldn't thank me enough. They said this cart is a lifesaver, it has brightened their day, and one dad basically said that it perked up his spirits. All this feedback was music to my ears! These parents confirmed what I believe..... and that is the Cart is vital in any hospital. In fact, one mom said she has been to many hospitals and NEVER experienced such a generous service anywhere else! I personally think our Carts make our hospitals look good!

I am enjoying getting to the know the child life staff at Sinai. They are incredible women, with lots of experience, compassion, energy, and commitment to their patients and families. I feel proud to support their service. While pushing the Cart today, I saw a mom by the elevators. Typically I know NO ONE at Sinai, but this is a mom who is my friend. Cathy and I met at Georgetown Hospital ten years ago, when both of our children were diagnosed. Mattie was only 6 and Bridget was about 15. 

This is a photo of Bridget and I today. I love Bridget and her entire family. They are special people. Bridget has every right to depressed, angry at the world, and a bitter person. She has been managing an aggressive cancer for a decade now. A cancer that robbed her of her teenage years and a cancer that has left her coping with significant physical issues. However, Bridget is truly remarkable, humorous, and a ray of sunshine. Honestly we all could learn a lesson or two from her! 

This is a photo of Cathy, Bridget, and myself. Another thing I love about Cathy and Bridget is their incredible bond. It reminds me of the one I had with Mattie. 

Sure parents love their children and their children love their parents, but I believe there are different levels and degrees of love and devotion. Needless to say, it is so special to be in Cathy and Bridget's presence. They understand each others needs without words. 

By the way, a while back Bridget gave me the title of "Mom #2!" I can't tell you how special that is to me. There are no words!!! 

When I left Sinai Hospital today, I had 15 large plastic bins in my trunk. It's our candy system. Post Halloween we fill all 15 bins and deliver them to the hospital. Then I pick up the bins when they are empty and refill them again in November. 
I drove from Baltimore to Alexandria today. I was motivated to unload the 15 bins from my car. Because I need access to my back seat and trunk for Sunny and other things. This is what our storage unit current looks like. Stacked with bins. Soon it will be utter chaos going on in there. 

No comments: