Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 22, 2010

Friday, January 22, 2010

Friday, January 22, 2010

Tonight's picture was taken on May 9, 2009, at Mattie's March (a walk for osteosarcoma awareness). Mattie is pictured here with Bob Weiman, the head of Mattie's lower school at SSSAS. Mattie and I referred to Bob as the "Magic Man." As a side note, Mattie did not want to leave his preschool to come to kindergarten. He loved his teachers at RCC, and when I told him he would be graduating from RCC and attending kindergarten at SSSAS, he was scared and hesitant about this transition. Well that was until Mattie attended a welcome event for new students at SSSAS. At the event, Bob performed magic with several of his fifth grade students. Bob captured Mattie's attention, and from that afternoon on, Mattie seemed to be excited about this new school adventure. I credit the turn around in Mattie's attitude to Bob's enthusiasm and energy. As many of my readers know, Bob connected often with Mattie when he was battling cancer. Bob taught Mattie magic, and these new found skills made Mattie feel special and important. He would never go through a hospital admission without the magic bag Bob gave him, and many of Mattie's nurses were great sports about watching Mattie perform! In tonight's picture, Bob and Mattie were performing their famous peanut butter and "booger" (booger instead of butter, naturally, because a seven year old boy, would much prefer the gross nature of the booger term) trick at the Mattie March. Bob has let me know since, that this trick has been unofficially renamed the Mattie Brown Peanut Butter and Booger trick. I just love this picture. It captures the happiness between a teacher and his student, it captures Mattie's joy, and I also love Brandon (Mattie's big buddy) in the background shading the magicians from the sun!


Poem of the day: An uninvited guest by Charlie Brown

Just two short years ago
Life was good and
It was the small things
That seemed to matter
And then came cancer
An uninvited guest
Who left taking my dreams
Along with him
Now I stand in the ashes
Of my dreams
And try to imagine a
New future without you
Sometimes I have glimpses
Of what that might be
But, it will never be
What I hoped
When I was innocent
Of what pain was to come
I will always miss you
There will always be a hole
In my heart, my dreams and
My life without you
My son
 
This morning I woke up disturbed. I was disturbed because of the nature of my dream. Since Mattie's death, I feel as if I don't really dream anymore, or at least I do not remember any of my dreams. But this morning, I remembered my dream quite vividly. Mostly because of the awful content. I dreamt I was staying at a hotel or at someone's house. While sleeping in this foreign place in my dream, I would wake up at night because I was being attacked by roaches, but not just any kind of roach, HUGE ones, the size of my hand. In my dream, I saw myself waking up and fighting off biting roaches. However, this only happened to me at night during the dream. During the day, in my dream, I was surrounded by children. When I woke up this morning, I was thoroughly upset. First of all, I hate roaches. However, Ann reminded me that Mattie loved roaches, and she asked me if Mattie was in the dream. It is funny she asked me that question, because when I woke up, I was trying to force myself to remember the faces of the children in my dream. In hopes that one of them was actually Mattie. But I have drawn a blank. Maybe Mattie is communicating to me somehow, since he loved to scare me with roaches made out of rubber, but this dream plagues me today. Why dream of something like this? Roaches of all things?!
 
I spent the day at a local hospital visiting with Ann's mom, Mary. Mary was admitted to the hospital because she hasn't been feeling well. Transitions from one place to another at Mary's age can be challenging, frightening, and stressful. Ann worked very hard at making this go as smoothly as possible, and I had the opportunity to go with Mary down for her x-ray, and sit with her through her various other procedures. One conclusion I have come to is that being in a hospital alone, without an advocate, is NOT a good thing. Mary really needed our support today, and as I watched her waiting in a hallway for an x-ray to be taken, I could see fear in her eyes. I remember that fear all too well. Mattie had many fears, all understandable. As Mary was waiting, I held her hand in the hallway, and kept her posted about what was going on. Mary asked me many times today not to leave her alone, because she too could assess that in her current condition she wasn't equipped to advocate for herself. I helped Mary with dinner tonight, and as always, Mary worries about me. She insisted on sharing her dinner with me, and what I realized that besides her worrying about me being hungry, what she was also saying is she did not want to eat alone. I certainly can't blame her, it isn't fun eating alone. Sharing food is always much nicer, and I can't believe that reality just hit me today. In any case, I was happy we could sit, eat, and chat. All medicinal in their own right! Mary wanted me to know that she thinks I am not real, but really an angel. In addition, because she thinks I am an angel, God will definitely be looking after Mattie. I certainly do not spend time with Mary because I expect this feedback, but Mary seems to know what to say about me and Mattie at just the right time.
 
I would like to end tonight's posting with a message from my friend, Charlie. Charlie wrote, "I love the picture of the kids at the pep rally. We pose children for pictures a lot, ask them to smile but this one is pretty natural with some funny expressions and one child facing another way with a sign. That's symbolic of how things usually are, not everyone is happy all the time and sometimes we are not even all going in the same direction. It was lovely of you to give your virtual support to Linda. After all you have been through you certainly know how to support someone else; that added to your natural loving, caring style makes you a wonderful support. As I practice today I will send my energy to you and I will keep you gently in my thoughts."

No comments: