Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 31, 2011

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 -- Mattie died 90 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2008. A month before Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. We took Mattie to Roosevelt Island to operate his remote controlled boat. Mattie loved gadgets and particularly wanted to understand how things worked. He went through his car and train phase, and as he was getting older, he still loved those vehicles, but his true love became boats. In fact, if you asked Mattie why he was saving his pennies and other money in his piggy bank, his response was always, "to buy a boat!" Mattie did not mean a toy boat either, he wanted his own life sized boat one day. He wanted to be "Captain Mattie." Unfortunately that dream will never become a reality.

Quote of the day: Love is an engraved invitation to grief. ~ Sunshine O'Donnell

Peter and I had a very active day. Certainly we are right on the beach and we could have stayed there the whole day. But sometimes when I find I am in a funk and my mood is low, doing something active and different helps me. So instead of just describing our day, I will show it to you in pictures!

This picture was taken on Sunday, as we were leaving Washington, DC to head to the beach. Memorial day is a special and unique holiday for our Nation's capital. What makes it an unforgettable visual and auditory experience is seeing Rolling Thunder. For those of you unfamiliar with Rolling Thunder, it was incorporated in 1995, and is a class 501(c)(4) non-profit organization with over 90 chartered chapters throughout the United States and members abroad. While many members of Rolling Thunder are veterans and many ride motorcycles, neither qualification is a prerequisite. Rolling Thunder members are old and young, men and women, veterans and non-veterans. All are united in the cause to bring full accountability for Prisoners Of War (POW) and Missing In Action (MIA) of all wars, reminding the government, the media and the public by our watchwords: “We Will Not Forget.”
Along our drive, we had to traverse over the Bay Bridge. Thankfully Peter and I have never experienced a back up or terrible traffic over this bridge. But it is a special sight to be surrounded by land and then all of a sudden, this bridge comes upon you and you are surrounded by water. It seems to be the symbol of vacation approaching!
As we were approaching town, I got a kick out of this sight and needed to take a picture of this tractor. It seems like the perfect visualization of going on vacation and having to slow down. After all, if this tractor were on the streets of Washington, DC, he would most likely get run right off the road.
Peter and I went to Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes, DE today. I have never been to this park, but Ellen suggested we check it out and she told me that bicycles are available for free to visitors at the nature center of the park. I haven't been on a bicycle in years, but there is some truth to the fact that some skills you never loose. I must admit the last time Peter and I went bicycle riding together in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, it was LESS than a pleasant experience. It wasn't pleasant because a bee flew into my ear, which disoriented me. So I drove my bicycle right into Peter's (who was ahead of me), and I literally went flying through the air, and injured myself. I was a bloody mess. So I am sure he was hesitant to go out with me today. But I was determined and I needed an adventure and to do something different. We rode on the "Bike Loop Trail" of the park, which was about a four mile ride. Along the way, I saw a black snake, heard many beautiful birds, saw beautiful terrain, and we even traversed through time (back to the 1940s) and saw Fort Miles.
Along the bike trail were these amazing cactus flowers. I am happy that Peter stopped to photograph them! I should let you know however, that parts of this bike trail weren't easy. There were moderate and sometimes steep hills to pedal up, and yet the bicycles we were on had only one gear. It was hysterical at one point, because as I was struggling to pedal up hill, a family was passing me coming down hill and were cheering me on and telling me I could get up the hill. Most of the hills I managed to get up, but one I simply had to walk myself and the bicycle up the hill!
As we got to the peak of one of the trails, we got off the bicycles and walked around. As you can see Peter snapped a picture of me right by the ocean.
519 Battery Cantonment of Fort Miles-- This was an absolutely fascinating part of the bicycle trail!!!! This cantonment was comprised of 6 concrete block barracks. Typically barracks back them were built from wood, but because of the humidity and location of these barracks, the builders decided to use concrete blocks. These buildings are STILL standing today. Here is some information about Fort Miles:

Lying amidst rolling dunes, in the shadow of a World War II observation tower, is Fort Miles Historical Area. During World War II, the Delaware River was a chief priority for defense planners because of the access it afforded to the giant trade centers of Wilmington, Philadelphia, and beyond. Fort Miles, located in what is now Cape Henlopen State Park, was a key piece in the nation's coastal defense at that time. Henlopen State Park. In April, 2005, Fort Miles was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Fort Miles is a special place for families, history buffs, veterans, or anyone interested in learning about the Delaware shore and WWII.

Fort Miles has many observation towers that surrounded it. This one in particular is Tower 7. These towers were designed to protect Eastern shores from aerial and naval attacks. Peter and I had the opportunity to climb up Tower 7, all 115 steps of a spiral staircase! In the heat and humidity this was quite a physical challenge.
This is the view from on top of Tower 7. You can see the 519 battery cantonment in the background here.
Peter snapped a picture of what the Bike Trail Loop actually looked like. It was a lovely paved and serene pathway.
At the end of our four mile journey we landed back at the Nature Center of the park. Right outside the center were incredible birds. This little fellow is an Oriole, and like any oriole when he extends his wings there is a beautiful red stripe that stands out.
As we were leaving the park, Peter saw this deer up ahead crossing the roadway. The deer are very used to people in the park, so much so, that when he saw me, he stopped and posed. He wasn't frightened and even as we drove away, the deer remained in the same location to eat.
Peter and I went on several walks today as well. At around 5pm, we went out looking for bunnies. I did not have to go too far, since in Ellen's front yard there were two beautiful bunnies just sitting there. This particular bunny got used to us, since we took several pictures of him over the course of the evening.
During our second walk, we headed to the beach and literally there was NO one on the beach but us and the seagulls. It was a very peaceful sight.
Peter is beginning to relax, which is wonderful to see, and based on his horrendous spring work travelling schedule, he really needed this break.
I would like to end tonight's posting with a message from my friend and colleague, Nancy. Nancy wrote, "Both of your shares regarding Mattie were sweet and beautiful. I appreciate how difficult it must be to have children running to their parents and Mattie being felt, in spirit. As I've said often through these last few years, you are and will always be Mattie's Mom and Peter, his Dad.Thank you for such a heartfelt story last night. It is a gentle introduction to another week spent without him. Ooga booga."

No comments: