Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 1, 2011

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2008 (three months before Mattie was diagnosed with cancer), at Mattie's school's spring festival. Mattie was pictured here with his close buddy Campbell and Campbell's sister, Livi. Some of my readers may recall that Campbell and Livi are the thoughtful children who recently made me a beautiful ceramic cupcake for Mother's day! I absolutely love this picture. I loved it when I took it and I continue to love it today because it captured a happy and fun time in Mattie's life. A time when he felt connected to something and to others. Making friends, good friends, can be a live long endeavor. But in Mattie's case, he found close friends immediately in life, which was a good thing since his life was cut short too quickly! 

Quote of the day: And when your sorrow is comforted you will be content that you have known me. You will always be my friend. You will want to laugh with me. And you will sometimes open your window, so, for that pleasure . . . And your friends will be properly astonished to see you laughing as you look up at the sky! Then you will say to them, 'Yes, the stars always make me laugh!' And they will think you are crazy. It will be a very shabby trick that I shall have played on you... ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (The Little Prince - Le Petit Prince)

Tonight's quote speaks to me. Mattie's preschool teacher, Margaret, told me about the book, The Little Prince. I have read condensed versions of this book, but never the entire book. As I came across this quote it instantly reminded me of Mattie. I have a feeling many of my readers, whether you knew Mattie or NOT, open your windows at night and when you see the moon, think of my Mattie Moon!

I would like to share more pictures with you tonight to illustrate how we spent our day. It was another adventurous day by the beach for us. The ironic part about this is we haven't spent much time on the actual beach, we have instead tried to spend the time being physical active, getting in touch with nature in various ways, and talking with each other.


Peter started his morning very early and by 8am, he was aboard the Judy V. a 65 foot fishing vessel (www.fishjudyv.com). Peter went on a half day fishing adventure. Peter and Mattie used to love to fish together, and I knew this is something Peter wanted to do while on vacation. I am happy he had the chance to do this, and throughout his journey, he sent me periodic pictures.
Pictured here is Captain Roger, who piloted Peter's fishing trip. Peter was accompanied by 9 other people on the boat. For the first hour of the trip, the boat sailed out into the Atlantic. Peter was with the Captain in the wheelhouse chatting during that first hour. Then the next two hours, the group fished, and during the final hour, the boat sailed back to shore. Everyone aboard the boat entered a fishing contest pool, and the person who caught the biggest fish on the journey won the pool.
This is the beautiful fish that Peter caught. A wonderful sea bass! Guess who won the fishing pool? It was Peter!!!
I love this picture! Peter aptly describes this pictures as "dinner!" Fortunately the fishing excursion people filleted it for us, otherwise, I am sure I would have added that skill to my resume tonight.
Peter and I ventured to Assateague Island this afternoon. We had never been there before and I have always wanted to see wild horses. I recall going to the Outer Banks, NC for years and visiting Corolla. Which is well known for its wild horse inhabitants. However, after years of visiting that location, I gave up and NEVER saw a horse. So in all reality I never expected to see a wild horse today either based on my track record!

Assateague Island is a barrier island built by sand that persistent waves have raised from the ocean's gently sloping floor. Constant reshaping mirrors a relentless origin, as steady winds continue moving trillions of sand grains, each a bit of eroded ancient Appalachian Mountains. The State of Maryland owns 680 acres of Assateague Island that it operates as a state park.

Two herds of wild horses known as "ponies" by an adoring public make their homes on Assateague Island. The herds are separated by a fence at the boundary between Maryland and Virginia. In Maryland, horses are often seen around roads and campgrounds. In Virginia, they are seen in Black Duck Marsh from the observation platforms along Beach Road and Woodland Trail. The Maryland herd is managed by the National Park Service. The Virginia herd is owned by the Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Company and is allowed by permit to graze on the Chincoteague refugee. Each year horses from the Virginia herd are rounded up and many of the foals are sold at the Pony Penning and Auction, held on the last Wednesday and Thursday of July. Proceeds from the auction help support the fire company. Today's wild horses on Assateague Island are descended from domesticated stock that was grazed on the Island as early as the 17th century by Eastern Shore planters. These farmers grazed their horses and other live stock here to avoid the mainland taxes and fencing requirements. Only slightly smaller than other horses, these shaggy, sturdy animals are well adapted to their harsh seashore environment. Marsh and dune grasses supply the bulk of their food. They get water from natural fresh water ponds or human-made inpoundments in Virginia.

As soon as Peter and I entered the park, look at the sight we saw!!!!! At first, I honestly couldn't believe these were the wild horses. They were freely roaming about the Island the entire time we were there. It was clear that we were NOW on their turf. These wild horses however, are NOT to be touched or approached because they bite and kick people. There are warning signs up everywhere with pictures on them of the damage these horses can inflict on people.
A closeup of the ponies!
I love this picture and I know if Mattie were with me, he would have absolutely loved this sight. Most likely his comment would have been there is a baby Mattie horse and his Una Moon (which was the nickname Mattie gave me).
We then took a walk on the salt marsh boardwalk. It was an incredible sight, filled with birds, and fascinating marsh lands and vegetation. However, it was extremely HOT out today, and though it is June it feels like a July or August weather day!
An overview of the boardwalk.
The boardwalk took us out to the shore line. This is very unique shoreline, because it is the last preserved and pristine seashore on the Eastern seaboard. The sand is like pure white powder and it is clear from the horse reminents that even they love the beach.
As we left the park, we were greeted yet again by a herd of horses on roadway. They were simply a beautiful and unforgettable sight to see.
Later this evening, Peter and I took a walk along the beach. It was a memorable time of day. It wasn't too cool or too hot, and we practically had the beach to ourselves. We reflected on all the creatures we saw and the running list for TODAY alone is: dolphins, wild horses, frogs, toads, crabs, a piping plover, bunnies, and a cat!

No comments: