Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 8, 2011

Monday, August 8, 2011

Monday, August 8, 2011


Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2007 on Roosevelt Island. We typically walked the Island on the weekends regardless of the weather. As you can see Mattie was going through his Lightning McQueen stage and brought his umbrella along for this rainy walk. This beachy part of the Island was special to all of us, maybe because it is tucked away and secluded. Needless to say, I find it fascinating that this beach overlooks Georgetown University where Mattie received his treatment. It almost seems more than coincidental. Anycase, each spring I try to plant seeds near this location, because it was an area we visited often as a family.


Quote of the day: I tell you, hopeless grief is passionless. ~ Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Today was our only morning to sleep in on the cruise, because the rest of the days our mornings will start at about 6am! Not my time of day at all. However, I realize many of the natural sights we will be seeing on this trip are so special, that it really merits such an early rise.



As I am writing tonight’s blog, I am sitting inside but I am able to see the ocean and hear the waves going by. It feels about 50 degrees outside and with the wind whipping at your face, it feels even cooler. None the less, this day at sea has been filled with whale and dolphin sightings. It is hard to imagine that whales are right near the ship swimming in their natural surroundings.


We attended one of the ship’s Scholarship@Sea programs this morning entitled, The Glaciers – Grandeur of Mother Nature. The naturalist gave us an overview of glaciers and some of the incredible wildlife we will be seeing while in Alaska such as the bald eagle, goats, whales, moose, and sea lions. I learned that the whales around our ship are actually mothers traveling with their children. These children were most likely born in Hawaii or Mexico in February and are now migrating north. Since this part of Alaska is the third largest whale feeding area in the world, I suppose it isn’t surprising to see such a migration! It is hard to imagine that our 49th state, Alaska, is bigger than California, Texas, and New York, but has the population equivalent to Rhode Island.


After this lecture series, my mom and I went to a zumba class. My mom takes zumba, but I never have tried it. Unfortunately the class was packed with wall to wall people and the instructor couldn’t be seen by most of us because of where she positioned herself. In addition, unlike any other dance class I ever took, the instructor did not VERBALIZE any of the dance steps she was doing. So it literally was baptism by fire. Typically I am a patient person and can be flexible, but I admit I can get frustrated quickly when I don’t have my own personal space around me and I can’t see and learn the movements to participate. It is our vacation and I should take some things in my stride, but I find that I can’t. I find that little things set me off and I admire those people who can be fun and easy going and simply enjoy life. For me, I still feel as if I travel with an invisible shroud over my head and mind.


Despite the class not being great, I got enough of a feeling for zumba, to know that it is most likely worth exploring and taking a class. I can definitely see how this would be good exercise, but done in a fun way through music and movement.


Though we were at sea all day today, we covered many activities. We even went to a live Art Auction. This was my first auction aboard a ship, and for those of you who know me, you know I am dangerous at auctions. There is something about competing for an item against others that brings out a very aggressive side of me. Fortunately I had the mind set going into this that I wasn’t there to buy anything and just wanted to be there to see the process and watch the people. Neither disappointed!


Not having access to my Blackberry today was downright difficult for me. I use my Blackberry to stay connected to those I am close to and to also research and look things up on the Internet. I have so many questions from today’s glacier lecture, which if I had my Blackberry, I could turn to the internet for answers, but now I will have to wait until we are back in American waters tomorrow.


We arrive at Ketchikan, Alaska on Tuesday at 6am, and it is my understanding that we gain an hour tonight as we cross a time zone. So in essence Peter and I will be four hours behind East Coast Time! I am signing off for now but wanted to share parts of our day with you from being at sea.

No comments: