Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 15, 2013

Friday, March 15, 2013

Friday, March 15, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2007. We took Mattie to Key West, FL that spring to spend his school break with Peter's parents. Mattie saw this dinosaur made out of found metal pieces (look closely because it is ALL found art!) and decided to pose next to it. Mattie was doing his cute impression of a dinosaur!


Quote of the day: Develop an interest in life as you see it; the people, things, literature, music - the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself. ~ Henry Miller


For some reason, I was in a funk all day today. I spent the majority of the day at home, which doesn't help my mood. In addition to everything else I am working on, I am also focused on a literature review for one of the working groups I serve on for the Foundation's standard of care project. Which means a lot of computer time. Between my mood and sifting through literature on childhood cancer, it was a bad overall combination.

In fact, I am not sure I would have ever migrated out of pajamas today if I did not have a meeting scheduled at Mattie's school with Donna this afternoon. Donna, as my faithful readers know is a kindergarten teacher at Mattie's school. She wasn't Mattie's teacher, but Donna knew Mattie because his classroom worked closely with hers. Three years ago, Donna invited me to her classroom and wanted to brainstorm ideas on how she could get me to interact with her class. After an afternoon of tea back then, we came up with a three part project covering the wonderful artists, Matisse and Picasso. So it is almost like a spring tradition for us. This will be the third year in a row that I am bringing this three part lecture and hands on activity to her classroom. 

When I arrived at Mattie's school, I wasn't sure if I was coming to going. I have a vicious headache and when I am in one of these depressed moods, I am not always the best of company. But Donna showed me the new additions to her classroom, and as we were talking curriculum, I went into educator mode. Which snapped me out of the funk I had been in earlier. In addition, while having tea, two other teachers joined us. One of whom was Mattie's kindergarten teacher. So the four of us had a wonderful time chatting about a host of things. I guess once a teacher, always a teacher. I fit in! 

I admit being around children is hard for me. Actually being around happiness for me is challenging. But somehow I make it work for Donna's class. It is truly the only time during the year that I get to interact with little ones. In my mind, Mattie will always be stuck in kindergarten, despite the fact that if he were alive today he would have been in fifth grade. So every time I walk in the kindergarten classroom, I think of Mattie, I try to remember the experiences he had in that lower school building and a part of me wonders what he thinks of my April classroom visits. Timed with the month he was born in!
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure he would be very proud of his mom. You are one strong lady, doing incredible work.