Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 13, 2013

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2009. Peter and I took Mattie out for a walk near the mall in Washington, DC. Peter snapped this photo of us, and it has to be one of my favorites he took of us. As spring is now upon us in the city, it always amazes us that we are living through another season, or in other words..... another season without Mattie.

Quote of the day: It's not what you say out of your mouth that determines your life, it's what you whisper to yourself that has the most power! ~ Robert T. Kiyosaki


I had a horrible night of sleep, I woke up at 2am and was not able to go back to sleep. Needless to say, I am partly a zombie today. I do recall that I dreamt last night. In my dream, I am driving a car and Peter was in the passenger seat asleep. While driving, I spotted Patches walking along the side of the road. I brought my window down and screamed out "Bean." Which was my nickname for Patches. With that she stopped in her tracks and looked at me. I recalled stopping the car and opening up the door of the car to let her in. The last thing I remember before waking up was I was talking to Patches and I told her that Peter was going to be very surprised and happy to see her.

We had a busy day today. Peter spent HOURS cleaning out our deck which was an absolute mess. A mess from bird seed shells and birds, which we feed over the winter. While poor Peter was cleaning, I met up with my friend Carolyn and her two children. We do our annual trip to the Christmas Tree Shop together in Waldorf, MD. This pilgrimage is vital because it helps to provide fillers and baskets for our Foundation's raffle. Carolyn's daughter went to preschool with Mattie, so literally I have watched her grow from age 3! I always enjoy my time on this outing and I love to see what excites the kids and to see what items they select and like. They even introduced me to their hamsters today, and I got to hold them. A first for me!

I am signing off for the day, but we had a very productive shopping spree. As I tell Carolyn (our Foundation Raffle Chair) all the time, she is one of the people I couldn't do without when planning the Walk. I not only appreciate her help, but also the energy, enthusiasm, and dedication she brings to her role.
 

No comments: