Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 2, 2014

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Wednesday, April 2, 2014


Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2006, on Mattie's fourth birthday party. This was Mattie's first birthday party that we held for him outside of our home. We held it at the Riverbend Nature Center. Mattie loved nature and that seemed like the perfect setting to host a party. Mattie and a few of his friends went for a nature walk, got to check out reptiles (a favorite of Mattie's), and did a pretend dinosaur bone dig. The kids had a great time and just enjoyed time running around and playing with each other. A day to remember! Who knew there wouldn't be more days like this!?



Quote of the day: We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival. ~ Winston Churchill


Today is April 2, two days before Mattie's birthday. The day I actually went into labor back in 2002. In many ways, I consider the whole first week of April, Mattie's birthday week, which maybe why Peter and I brace ourselves for the entire week. I will tell you about our day later, which was geared toward trying to relax, but before sharing these details, I have more important information to share.

I learned that Mattie's close friend, Jocelyn, died today. Mattie met Jocelyn while battling cancer at Georgetown. Jocelyn was older (she was a young adult) than Mattie, but she too had Osteosarcoma. Somehow the age difference did not seem to trouble Mattie in the least. Jocelyn worked wonders with Mattie. Jocelyn had been battling cancer much longer than Mattie and therefore by the time she met Mattie, she already had her leg amputated and went through physical therapy and was walking around beautifully with her prosthetic leg. Jocelyn made osteo, which is an impossible cancer, look manageable. She gave Mattie hope, courage, and really normalized many of his fears. She did not like wearing wigs and hats, neither did Mattie! There were many things they saw eye to eye on! Their candid conversation was refreshing to Mattie and they bonded over thoughts, feelings, art, and zany projects! Jocelyn had a way of helping Mattie out of his shell of depression and her 'can do' spirit was something that gave me hope. I have to admit I worried often about Mattie's future, but then I would look at Jocelyn and think..... maybe Mattie had a chance too! Jocelyn was therapeutic for all of us!!! 

I received an email today from Jocelyn's mom asking me to call her. I told her I was away and asked whether it was an emergency or whether we could wait to connect when I returned. I did not know Jocelyn's cancer was terminal, therefore, I did not expect to hear Jocelyn had died. In many ways, Jocelyn protected me from her own diagnosis because I think in her mind, she felt I lost enough already. 

When Jocelyn got married, Jocelyn did not have a bridal registry. Instead she asked her guests to make a contribution to Mattie Miracle. She has requested the same type of gifts as remembrances at her funeral. Somehow this generosity and compassion does not surprise me at all. This is who Jocelyn is and will always be. Jocelyn loved Mattie and I know she cared about me and tried to protect me from the ravages of her cancer and her terminal condition. My heart goes out to her mother, because I know all too well the lifetime of grief and agony ahead of this wonderful lady who produced a beautiful daughter. 

Jocelyn's mom wrote to me today and reminded me about a dream that Mattie shared with them one day in clinic. Mattie said that in his dream he pictured that there would be a day when he and Jocelyn would not need their bodies anymore. They would be free of pain and could have adventures together. Apparently today is just that day for Jocelyn and part of me thinks that Mattie was there to guide the way for her, two days before his birthday. Another life taken too soon, too young! A great tragedy!!! All the while, cancer organizations are beating the pavement to raise money for biological research! Good luck there! It isn't making a difference! Kids are dying daily, it may not be talked about, it may not be covered on CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, and the like. But don't let that fool you. It is happening, it is real, and kids are dying. I rather bury my head in the sand too, and if you have a healthy child, consider yourself blessed. But I lost Mattie and I have seen other wonderful young people get taken too soon, like Jocelyn, and it defies understanding and order. Hearing today's news upset my apple cart. Not that my cart was straight to begin with this week. But there are times when I wonder how I haven't cracked up yet. Jocelyn's death has brought me great sadness and as I told her mom today, we are devastated by this loss. 



Last night, Peter went outside and snapped a photo of Mattie Moon over The Westin! Mattie is with us and hopefully watching over his buddy Jocelyn tonight. 









We are having a very difficult time relaxing this week. So I gave Peter a forced break this morning and sent him to the hotel's spa. He had a massage. While he was there I went to sit on the beach. I snapped photos of the ocean, watched the birds, and people watched. Some of my favorite things to do. 




I love sea birds! Something about a seagull just tells you, you are at the beach!












Later in the day, Peter and I walked several miles on A1A. Which runs right along the Atlantic Ocean. The street is lined with shops and restaurants. It was bustling with people and all sorts of activities. I joked with Peter, because I told him it started to remind me a little bit of Venice Beach in California. It wasn't as colorful (with a lively cast of characters), but it was definitely working its way in that direction!
For those of you who have been following my room saga since yesterday, it was resolved today! Richard came through for us today. We are not on the 11th floor but the 14th floor. We were given the Executive Suite. I have no idea how expensive this suite is, but all I can say is the views from this room are incredible. It is floor to ceiling windows in two rooms and all I can see is ocean. It is just glorious. Bright, happy, I can't hear blaring music, and literally we are finding moments of peace in the midst of great sadness today. 


Here is the bedroom area! Again more beautiful windows!!! The blue from the ocean is simply breathtaking and fills up the entire room.










Looking down from the window of our room! 












What do you think of this view? This is from the shower!!!!













Lastly, this beautiful orchid sits in our bathroom! The attention to details in this suite are simply elegant. I feel like I have gone from the disco room (with blaring music coming in from the pool) to peace, light, and serenity! 

This evening, we went out to dinner, but the news about Jocelyn put me in a terrible mood. After dinner, we came back and walked the beach. While walking by the water, all of a sudden, I felt something sting the heel of my foot. I started screaming. Fortunately I wasn't stung. I just stepped onto some sort of piece of wood floating in the water. But literally I couldn't move or walk. Peter had to run up to the room and get tweezers to pull this wood from my foot. It has been a hard evening for us to say the least.

No comments: