Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 20, 2014

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2008. Since I have been highlighting Mattie's love of cardboard boxes, I figured showing how these boxes migrated to his small PICU room would also be helpful! Mattie's hospital rooms were small and confining, especially with three of us, two beds, chairs, and equipment in the room! Then add in toys and cardboard boxes, and the room was beyond tight. It was a full time job each day to keep it organized and under control! But there was no way Peter or I would get rid of those boxes. Mattie thrived on creating with them, playing in them, and building with them. So they were vital to our existence!


Quote of the day: The sun was like a great visiting presence that stimulated and took its due from all animal energy. When it flung wide its cloak and stepped down over the edge of the fields at evening, it left behind it a spent and exhausted world. ~ Willa Cather

When I saw this quote this evening, it resonated with me. I just felt exhausted all day and couldn't do much. Peter and I are all packed up for Curefest tomorrow. The event will be held on the National Mall, which is close to where we live. We aren't driving to it, but walking to where our exhibit booth will be. It will be a 1.5 mile walk each way and we packed up our cart with Foundation items. We have to set up at 8am, so we have a very early walking start to get to the event and a FULL Sunday ahead of us! 

I did talk to my doctor last night about this kidney stone incident that I had on Thursday night into Friday. I suspect this is why I feel so wiped out. She and I are usually on the same wavelength regarding my care and she is following up with me next week with scanning!

Later today, Peter and I were outside on our deck. I was trimming our plants and Peter was up top collecting tomatoes! If you notice, Peter collected a Tupperware full of cherry tomatoes. These are Peter's babies! They have been great producers ALL summer! I joked with Peter this evening because if Mattie were with us, I know darn well that he would have been right along side Peter picking those tomatoes. Mattie would have been enthralled to be on the ladder and up at that height for starters! But Mattie also loved being outside and in the garden. He was a regular "Farmer Brown," as I called him and his dad!

No comments: