Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 15, 2017

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 -- Mattie died 413 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2006. We took Mattie to Legoland with my parents in San Diego. Mattie was the KING of the Legos, so we had a feeling he would love a whole theme park geared to the building affectionato! As you can see, Mattie and I posed for a photo by this man made completely of Legos. If you look closely you will see that Mattie was holding a toy car in his hands. He got this car while touring San Diego, and loved it because it had a detachable surf board on top of it. That car went with us practically everywhere. I am so glad Mattie had several trips to Legoland and that we experienced so many adventures together.  



Quote of the day: The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. ~ Robert Louis Stevenson


A while ago, I bought these socks in the Hallmark store. I bought Peter several socks like this, that say different things. Like "My Dog Loves Me" for example. But I wanted orange socks, and I liked the "I am brave" saying. Ironically though I never wore those socks until today. 

Why did I put them on? Well it really was by happenstance. I went through a lot of socks today because it was pouring and I walked Sunny several times in the rain. So at some point I grabbed for these orange socks because they were dry and wore them the whole day. 

Peter and I are flying to Los Angeles tomorrow, picking up my parents and then on Thursday drive to Palm Springs to attend and present at a national nursing conference. It is a full day of travel, but poor Peter had to go to New Jersey today on business. So for him, it will be a long couple of travel days! Prior to having Sunny and Indie, getting ready for a trip just meant the usual household chores and packing. But today was an absolute whirlwind of walking Sunny and then taking him for boarding. Sunny is boarded in Virginia and Indie goes to DC. Totally opposite geographical places. So it means a lot of driving for me. Sunny is a breeze to get into the car and transport to boarding. Of course once he steps foot in the facility, you see the separation anxiety he has over leaving me. Which is never a good feeling, as he practically has to be dragged away from me. 

To add insult to injury, I had to capture Indie and put her in her cat carrier. Which I did after dropping Sunny off at boarding. I can't handle them both at the same time. Because if I should box Indie in front of Sunny, he gets very upset and concerned about her. If you have never tried to catch a frisky cat and put it in a cat carrier, then it will be hard to relate to me angst. Indie relates better to Peter, whereas Sunny is really my boy! Therefore I am not as comfortable grabbing Indie and putting her in her box. But since Peter is in New Jersey, I had to outwit the cat. Before attempting this process, I happened to look down at my socks, and saw it said.... I am brave. Literally I laughed and figured this was a sign that I could do this. I assembled Indie's cat carrier last night and kept it out of her view. I waited until she looked relaxed today before approaching her, and then grabbed her and threw her in the carrier. She was wiggling like a worm on the way to the carrier, but I learned the hard way the last time, NOT to let go when in the capturing process. Once you let go of a cat, you have LOST. Because cats will hide, run, and do whatever it takes NOT to be captured again. 

So this evening, I am cat and dog free, and it is really an adjustment. They have a way of filling up our home. I can't make a move without Sunny following me from point A to point B. He is the typical Velcro dog (Velcro dogs show closeness behaviors while you're home. A study found that dogs that have hyper-attachment to their human are more likely to develop separation anxiety.), and I am sure his neediness could be problematic for the average owner. The funny part about Sunny, is this aspect of him reminds me of Mattie. Mattie was very connected to me and wanted to be engaged with me constantly. Which is why Sunny's behavior doesn't trouble me at all. I'm used to it and in fact it causes me to reflect and remember the significant connection I had with Mattie. Of course I don't need Sunny to do this, as I reflect on Mattie's life daily in this blog and in the work I do for the Foundation, but Mattie always wanted a dog. Therefore, I feel that Sunny is a Mattie wish come true!

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki, A wish come true - I like that you say that about Sunny & Mattie's happiness that you would have Sunny. I understand separation anxiety so I would find the attention of a Sunny in my life welcoming. While I completely understand your comment for some it would be problematic. We have never owned a dog which I think is a reason, I enjoy your posts & pictures of Sunny..

I think you should wear those, " I am Brave " socks everyday! Brave has several definitions, depending on the circumstances. I think creating the Mattie Miracle Foundation with a mission to make a psychosocial difference going forward for kids in treatment for Cancer is a brave act. Brave, because no matter how much the Foundation accomplishes, it will never help Mattie. It is an act of bravery everytime, you & Peter Brown do Foundation work. So keep wearing those socks..

I hope you will post about the conference!

I loved the quote today - so much meaning!