Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 21, 2019

Saturday, December 21, 2019

Saturday, December 21, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2004. Mattie was two and half years old and by this point, he was fully aware of my need to take photos. He wasn't always happy about it, but he complied. Mattie in a Christmas sweater (he had a new one each year) in front of our tree. This was the cover of our 2004 Christmas card. 


Quote of the day: Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.Mark Twain


I woke up at 5am today because the rocking of the ship was making me absolutely crazy. I could hear waves crashing and could feel my body or I should say my stomach swaying back and forth. I knew I had to take more Dramamine ASAP. 

This morning my mom and I attended a lecture on St. Kitts, one of the islands we will be visiting. I had no idea that Kitts is actually an English abbreviation for Christopher. In 1492, the country was visited by Christopher Columbus on his second voyage. He named it Saint Christopher in his honor and sailed on to Hispaniola (now called Haiti and the Dominican Republic). Others, say Columbus discovered St. Kitts on his second voyage to the New World in 1493, and thought the island resembled Saint Christopher carrying the Christ child. “Kitts” is the nickname and most commonly used moniker for the island. In the United Kingdom, St. Kitts is often still called “St. Christopher.”


In the piazza of the ship, there is all sorts of things from a cafe, shops, live music or a concert and this wonderful gingerbread display. This display was made by the ship's pastry chefs. It is very special and as you approach it, you can smell the gingerbread. 

A close up of the displays. The attention to detail is wonderful and truly makes the space seem festive. 
How do you like these snowmen on skis? 
We loved checking out this display. Today and tomorrow are full days at sea, as we are covering a lot of territory from Florida to St. Thomas.

Given how I am feeling, I am not up to doing a whole lot, but we did have lunch in the dining room and sat for an hour or so in the Sanctuary. This is an adult only space, that is more peaceful and isolated from the hustle and bustle of the ship.  
This was the kind of stuff we sailed through today. Rain, clouds, and close to 30mph winds.
We tried to relax for a little bit in the Sanctuary. But it didn't happen for me. I was cold and couldn't take the wind whipping all around me. So I am back in the cabin and going to rest before dinner tonight. Everyone is asked to dress in formal attire, and at the moment, I feel like I could show up to dinner in my pajamas. 

I captured Peter trying to rest on a lounge chair. Notice he is bundled up and has noise canceling head phones on because otherwise all he'd hear is the wind. 

No comments: