Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 2, 2020

Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 -- Mattie died 557 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2002. Mattie was a month old. Ironically Mattie was napping here. Which was something he rarely did. Or let's put it this way, as a newborn, he may have napped, but that ended very quickly. I remember new parents telling me about how much they got done during two hour naps. I always was in amazement, because it could take me two hours to try to calm Mattie down enough to nap. Then if he napped it was like 20 minutes at a time. Mattie somehow knew that his time with us would be fleeting, so therefore he wasn't going to spend it napping. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • number of people diagnosed with the virus: 1,831,730
  • number of people who died from the virus: 106,180


Today was a day for the books. I felt like I was on the phone most of the day. Talking to doctors and nurses in California, who are overseeing my dad's care. It is very hard managing someone's medical treatment from afar, and even worse during a Pandemic. My mom is not allowed to visit my dad in the hospital, and therefore there is no family member with eyes on my dad. One thing I know, is every patient needs a family advocate. Without it, lots of things slip through the cracks in a hospital system. 

So far, every nurse my dad was assigned has been absolutely delightful! Professional, efficient, and also caring. They are spending a lot of time talking to me on the phone and don't mind multiple calls and questions throughout the day. Peter and I know that having a good nurse can make all the difference in the world, as it is these professionals who provide on the ground care. If you want to know how a patient is, all you have to do is ask a bedside nurse. They are much more clued in than the doctors. 

I found out that my dad was scheduled to be discharged this afternoon. So I called to talk with his nurse to find out how he was doing. The nurse told us that my dad was put on oxygen today because his oxygenation level fell. They did an x-ray of my dad's lungs and they are fine. So the thinking is they have over hydrated him with IV fluid and this could explain the swollen hands, wrists, and fingers. Not to mention the drop in oxygenation. So my dad was dealing with that, then they removed his catheter and were waiting to see if he could urinate on his own. Then the nurse told us that my dad is very weak. Weak for many reasons.... his age, having a UTI for most likely a few weeks, and then having to have emergency kidney stone removal. Needless to say, my dad is too weak to truly walk and function independently. 

Naturally the question begs itself... how could they want to discharge my dad in this state!!!??? Make a long story short, by the time I called several people and lit up the hospital, my dad was not discharged today. In fact, the chief of rehab is coming to assess my dad tomorrow to determine the discharge plan. My hope is that he will transfer my dad to the rehab floor of the hospital, to help my dad regain his strength and ability to do activities, so that he can return home safely. 

I am saddened that my dad's hospital doesn't have a patient advocacy division. Patient advocates are lifesavers and serve as liaisons between patients/families and health care providers. All I know is whenever we had a problem at Mattie's hospital, I called our patient advocate. When she walked onto our pediatric floor, hospital staff would be jumping. Unfortunately there are no advocates to turn to at this California hospital. However, I landed up talking to the charge nurse of my dad's hospital unit. She was wonderful, and reminded me of Mattie's sedation nurse! Even sounded like her. She actually read me doctor, nurse, and physical therapist notes placed in my dad's file today. She was unbelievably helpful and hearing this information allowed me to determine who I need to speak to tomorrow regarding getting a rehab plan for my dad. 

No comments: