Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 7, 2020

Friday, August 7, 2020


Friday, August 7, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken on July 31, 2008. You maybe asking yourself, what was this? When we initially learned about Mattie's cancer, the next step was to explain this to our six year old. I told Mattie's care team that he LOVED bugs. He liked them, but that did not mean he wanted them in his body. So the way we helped Mattie visualize cancer, was in the form of a 'bone bug.' We explained that he had something like bone bugs inside him and that the way to get rid of them was to use a special medication called chemotherapy. So Mattie and his art therapists created a 'bone bug' out of pink clay. We then asked Mattie what he would do if he saw a big bone bug crawling around him. Naturally the inclination was to stomp on it and squash it. Which was exactly what Mattie did! This photo was of the squashed clay bone bug. By analogy, we explained that the chemotherapy was going to be like Mattie's foot. It was going to squash out the bone bugs floating inside of him. This was a great analogy and one that Mattie instantly related to!


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • number of people diagnosed with the virus: 4,928,802
  • number of people who died from the virus: 161,052


For the past two days I have noticed my dad was having issues urinating. Specifically he needed to run to the bathroom more and then after voiding, he would need to sit there for ten more minutes, while urine was simply dripping out drop by drop. Watching this was nerve wracking and I was determined today to call my dad's urologist. 

After my dad's caregiver arrived, I trailed up after her because I wanted to examine my dad's urinal from overnight, before it was cleaned. When I looked inside the urinal, I saw a solid mass. I put on gloves and retrieved it. I labeled it a bladder stone, but it is actually a kidney stone. This most definitely could explain the urination issues that I have been observing over two days. Needless to say, it was vital to reconnect with the doctor, because this doctor performed kidney stone surgery on my dad in May and also treated him for urinary sepsis. I want to make sure my dad has no other stones and the potential for an infection. So my dad will get an x-ray next week and see the doctor for follow up care. I spoke to the doctor today and I actually liked him.



Peter and his parents went to the Lobster Pool in Rockport, MA today. I have been there many times, and they wanted me to know they were thinking of me. 


Meanwhile, my boy is enjoying his outdoor time in Boston! He loves Peter's parents backyard! Specially looking for chipmunks! A pass time Mattie also enjoyed! 
All I know is I am constantly moving from one task to another! Just when I think tomorrow will be easier, it isn't! What I find particularly annoying is I am trying to figure out my dad's caregiving needs, and yet the caregiving company has their own needs! Of course they are a business and want more hours and more money. Regardless of our needs! Yet if we don't comply, I am seeing that quality and professional caregivers move on and take other jobs that offer more hours (which of course translates into more pay). 

No comments: