Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 21, 2020

Saturday, November 21, 2020

Saturday, November 21, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken on November 18, 2008. This was 5 days after Mattie's major limb salvaging surgery. As you can see, he was still wrapped up like a mummy, but he was more alert and pain was better managed by that point. But that was only after A LOT of advocating and sometimes screaming on our behalf! Despite the pain, undergoing a significant surgery, managing life with cancer, and being isolated in a hospital room..... Mattie's spirit still came shining through!


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • number of people diagnosed with the virus: 12,059,686
  • number of people who died from the virus: 255,800

What a difference a day makes. Not to mention rescue migraine medication. I was an absolute mess yesterday afternoon and evening. I couldn't function or SIT STILL. I felt miserable, as if I were going to jump out of my skin. My head was pounding, and the nausea was intense. 

Peter sent me some photos on his drive to Boston to visit his parents. Of Sunny and Indie were in tow. 

The glorious GW Bridge!

Sunny loves backyard time. It is like going to summer camp. As you can see Sunny was glued to the door, checking out the backyard. Next to Sunny is OC, the cat. Though it is OC's home, he tolerates Sunny. Sunny is used to cats and knows not to make any sudden or aggressive movements.
Sunny loves being outdoors! When we take Sunny to Boston, we bring a LONG leash with us. This enables Sunny to walk around and check things out without getting into trouble. 
Sunny is very focused on the movement in the backyard. Chipmunks and squirrels always catch his undivided attention. 



















Today I went grocery shopping for Thanksgiving. My dad likes getting the turkey from Gelson's. Gelson's is a very unique and extraordinary grocery store. It has special items like what one would find at Whole Foods, yet you can also find every day brand named items in the store. So unlike with Whole Foods, you can do ALL your shopping at Gelson's. What makes Gelson's a beautiful shopping experience though are the well trained, customer focused staff members! At Gelson's the customer is always right, and they work very hard at getting their shoppers happy. I love food, and it is clear who ever manages this store, appreciates food and wants to make the store a visually pleasing experience. It doesn't disappoint. 

I went to high school in California. Just down the street from Gelson's. So Gelson's is NOT new to me. I remember my maternal grandmother LOVED Gelson's and I would take her shopping there on occasion. 

In reality I was dreading going shopping today because I was expecting anxious and pushy shoppers around me preparing for Thanksgiving. I found the exact opposite. I attribute this to a well run staff who keep shelves stocked, well organized and NO one waits at check out. If a line develops, more checkers appear instantly to help customers. Why aren't all grocery stores like Gelson's!???

Gelson's has it all! From an amazing butchery to a delectable bakery. Because my parent's moved into their house in June, I admit that I am not familiar with the size of their refrigerator or their oven. Both of which are smaller than their past appliances. 

It was productive day and I got a lot done. It most definitely helps that my dad has a caregiver for four hours each day. It frees me up to run chores and get tasks done. 

No comments: