Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 4, 2011

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2007. Mattie was attending his preschool buddy's super hero party. As you can see, Mattie was dressed as superman. Mattie and another friend were wrapping me up in paper streamers, apparently I was playing a "bad guy" and naturally all bad guys have to be rounded up and captured. I recall that day so well. It was extremely hot out and yet I remember Mattie's energy and the fun he had connecting with his friends.

Quote of the day: Mourning is love with no place to go. ~ unknown author

I started my day off by having tea with my friend, Christine. Christine and I were text messaging back and forth last night and she was providing moral support as I have been dealing with sleepless nights due to our cat and also because I haven't been feeling well. Sometimes receiving empathy from someone can make you feel better. Mainly because it makes you feel like you have been heard and matter. So this morning we met, chatted about all sorts of things, and also discussed the Foundation's Walk. Christine is in charge of registration, which is a huge logistical undertaking. Fortunately Christine and I have similar work habits. We are both very organized, focused, and thorough. While we were meeting, our mutual friend, Ellen joined us. As many of my readers know, Ellen is Charlotte's mom and Christine is Campbell's mom. Mattie's two closest kindergarten buddies. Ellen gave me some ideas for promoting certain items at the Foundation Table at the Walk this year, which I found very helpful.

So the Walk plans are solidifying quite well, but it is definitely a major undertaking. This afternoon, I worked on staging each of the 10 raffle baskets. Throughout the day, my friend Carolyn (our raffle chair) was emailing me and also giving me moral support on this task. As you can see it takes a great deal of moral support to chair a Walk, and I appreciate my friends who understand this and also find a way to let me know how they feel. Ann's cousins are in town from Massachusetts. I have gotten to know Helen and Ed for the past two years and really appreciate their openness and willingness to help. They have contributed to the raffle and also spent hours tonight with me wrapping raffle baskets. We completed six out of the 10 baskets. So I would consider that progress. To learn more about the raffle and the items were are featuring at the Walk, please click on the link:  https://www.mattiemiracle.com/Raffle.html

While at Ann's house, I had dinner there tonight. I haven't sat with her family in a while, and I almost forgot how lively it can be with children at the table. Children have an energy about them and as I sat there, all I could think was..... what a stark contrast to my life. A contrast that most people can't possibly imagine.

I would like to end tonight's posting with a message from my friend and colleague, Nancy. Nancy wrote, "Your thoughts about Ann's visitor yesterday were very powerful. Interesting how people with a common experience see it differently. It really isn't unusual, but, the experience reinforces our position. I do think that having another child does change the loss. She would have abandoned her other child had she not focused on its life and each of us cope with loss uniquely. Your relationship with Mattie was and is very intense. It resonates in the blog and with each photo and description, your commitment to Mattie is clear. He was a reason for life and love for Peter and you and you gave it your all and continue to do so with the Foundation."

No comments: