Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 18, 2012

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Thursday, October 18, 2012


Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2007, nine months before Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. That weekend we took Mattie to Butler's Orchard in Maryland. This was one of our favorite farms to take Mattie to because they took people on a hayride into the pumpkin patches, where children could literally pick pumpkins right off the vine. As you can see, Mattie picked this pumpkin, and actually several others that day. I am not sure what he loved more the pumpkins, the wheelbarrows, or the hayride on a tractor.  


Quote of the day: Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. ~ Mahatma Gandhi


Gandhi's quote intrigues me because his definition of happiness is something that I can freely accept even in my state of grief. When I reflect on the harmony among what I think, say, and do this makes a great deal of sense to me, rather than the typical definition of happiness, which I have trouble accepting and swallowing. Typically when we think of happiness (going right to Webster's Dictionary) it is defined as "a state of well-being and contentment, joy, or a pleasurable or satisfying experience."

Joy and happiness are NOT words I like anymore. In fact it is very hard after the death of a child to allow these feelings inside. A pervasive sense of guilt comes upon me when I think of them, and chances are if you have used them with me in conversation then you know I have pushed back at you. Do I think Mattie wants Peter and I to be happy? Do I think he would be happy knowing how much we miss him and how profoundly changed our lives are? I don't know, but I do suspect that on September 8, 2009, Mattie did not want to die. He understood on some level that leaving us was unnatural. As his doctor told me, she had to give Mattie propofol to help him die because he did not want to let go. The strength of a seven year old, fighting for his life, is an image that will remain with me forever. Once you heard your child flat line in your arms, finding happiness and joy in life seem impossible.  


As the Foundation activities are taking off, my days are becoming busier. The mental power of balancing activities and tasks has its own challenges. However, in the midst of working, I was greeted by our first shipment of candy for the Foundation's Post-Halloween Candy drive. When I opened the box, this was a sight for sore eyes. Being a chocolate lover, it takes great discipline not to eat it myself. But I am happy to report that no chocolate was lost last year from my consumption. Much thanks Maria for this wonderful delivery. A delivery that will make families of hospitalized children VERY happy!


 

No comments: