Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 1, 2013

Monday, April 1, 2013

Monday, April 1, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2006, during Mattie's 4th birthday party. Mattie's theme that year was dinosaurs. Because Mattie loved nature trails and parks, we held his party at Riverbend Regional Park. The park naturalist who helped us host the party appreciated Mattie's desire for all things creepy. Kids got to get up close and personal with different types of snakes, turtles, and even a tarantula. The kids then got to go on a guided walk through a trail, which ended at a large sand box in which they got to dig for dinosaur bones (or in this case plastic dinosaurs!). 


Quote of the day: The days passed in a dream. I pictured our reunion again and again, played it out in my mind over and over until I’d almost worn a groove in my thoughts, so deep that it seemed the only thing I could think of was our reunion. Anticipation is a gift. Perhaps there is none greater. Anticipation is born of hope. Indeed it is hope’s finest expression. In hope’s loss, however, is the greatest despair. ~ Steven L. Peck


Peter and I got up today and literally FORCED ourselves off the couch and out of the house. Of course seeing the sun shining helped tremendously, since yesterday it looked like the end of the world at the beach with wind and rain. 


Our first steps back into reality was a walk on Bethany Beach. As you can see we had the beach mainly to ourselves. We occasionally ran across a fellow resident with furry companion in tow. 








The sun was glorious and shining onto the water. Despite having a persistent headache, I did find walking the beach very therapeutic. We did it twice today!










We can clearly see the damage and impact from Hurricane Sandy on the beach. Between the Hurricane and yesterday's storm there are SHELLS everywhere. I tried to snap a picture of all the shells. Usually when we visit Bethany I return home with one or two shells at the most. Today, I have a whole shopping bag full. 



Part of our pact to get out of the house meant having a plan for the day. I do not do well without a plan. I suppose I am not much different than a preschooler. I am not a spontaneous person and when I am in a mood with a violent headache, it is easy for me to spiral downward and totally retreat. Today we decided to visit Lewes, DE. I get a big kick out of this lighthouse replica every time we drive passed it. It welcomes visitors to Lewes.


Lewes is a tiny town, but worth the visit. It is filled with Victorian Painted Ladies, shops, and restaurants. But definitely small and quaint! 










One of the restaurants I love to go to in Lewes is The Buttery. It is situated in a Victorian house and it has a lovely wrap around porch which is enclosed in the cooler months. Peter snapped a photo of me. From my perspective, I look sick or weak. But at least I got out. 





The Buttery has a fireplace which is decorated each spring for Easter. It just screams out spring! 












This evening, we went back out to the beach after a rain storm. Peter immediately spotted this rainbow!












I was fascinated by this big bird which kept diving into the water. He worked alone and clearly wasn't bothered by the cold temperature of the water. We did some investigation and found out that this fellow is an Immature Common Eider! 



At first, I did not see my favorite beach birds. But as we spent some time walking a pack of them came flying in. I love Plovers! I particularly love how they move their little legs to avoid getting wet by each wave that comes in. They are a sight to watch!






The clouds have set back in along the coast tonight. However, there was ONE pocket of blueness. The sun desperately tried to shine through and its beams came miraculously through onto the water. It seems rather symbolic of how my head feels and my depressed mood. It feels as if my world is covered and surrounded by grayness and it takes great strength to look for that ray of sunshine to help pull us through. 

No comments: