Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 20, 2014

Monday, January 20, 2014

Monday, January 20, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2006. I think the only reason Mattie liked bath time was because each time he went into the tub he took an arm full of toys with him. Practically anything Mattie owned went into the tub not to get washed per se, but to use the item in whatever play scheme he wanted to concoct that day. When Mattie first did this I got upset. To me there were toys that could go in the bathtub and then there were things that shouldn't go in water. But after a while, reality hit and I realized it just did not matter. As long as the items weren't going to hurt Mattie in the water, I felt it was important to nurture his curiosity and determination.


Quote of the day: We must not wish for the disappearance of our troubles but for the grace to transform them. ~ Simone Weil


I was mostly glued in front of my computer all day today working on one of the Foundation think tank documents. Since the think tank is weeks away, it is important to get these materials wrapped up soon. In practically a year's time this amazing group of mental health professionals from around the country, who we have helped to assemble, has generated a first draft of a national psychosocial standard of care for childhood cancer. It is quite remarkable what a group of dedicated individuals can accomplish! It truly sets the tone and creates the motivation necessary to generate such a vital document.

I was in Mattie's room most of the day. My desk is now in his room and it overlooks our garden and complex plaza space. Needless to say I have a bird's eye view of things. I got to see my neighbors today, I watched packs of sparrows eating at our bird feeders, and I even got to see two little boys playing around outside. These two fellows couldn't have been more than 3 years old. Any case, I suspect, when I am not around, or looking through the window, they help themselves to Mattie's sand box, which is outside in the plaza space. Actually all the kids in the complex know to visit Mattie's sandbox. I leave it out in our complex space for two reasons. One of which is it is hard to see it on our deck and the second is I know that if Mattie can't enjoy it, some other child might as well have the opportunity. 

Any case, I could tell that these two boys wanted to pop open the frog sandbox lid and jump inside. But the mom told them not to, most likely because she could see me from the window and I guess she figured she did not have my permission to use the sandbox. As I was trying to work and concentrate, I could hear two big meltdowns happening outside. So literally I put my shoes on and went downstairs to talk to their mom. I explained to her that her boys were welcome to use the box and play in it anytime. The boys were thrilled and the crying stopped immediately!!! It turns out that this mom is friends with my friend Christine, and happens to live in our complex. A small world indeed, but this mom knew exactly who I was.

Mattie was actually very territorial about his sandbox. When he was alive, he did not allow just anyone playing in it. So naturally my decision to share the box, may not be quite what Mattie had in mind. In fact, my feelings about this sandbox have changed over time. At each stage of the grieving process, my reaction to seeing children in Mattie's box varies. Keep in mind that many of Mattie's toys and wooden ramps that he made are still inside the box. Needless to say, when I see a child interested in Mattie's box now it reminds me of him and somehow it helps me keep his memory alive. 

No comments: