Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 23, 2014

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2006. In a way this photo is a follow up to the one I highlighted last night. Mattie got to take the gingerbread houses that his preschool classroom decorated that day! As you can see the children covered the house in royal icing and all sorts of candy. In so many ways raising Mattie gave me the chance to be a child again. Mattie was thrilled with the finished products and though eating this wouldn't have interested him in the least, he did consider them works of art that he wanted to admire and be proud of. 




Quote of the day: There are always flowers for those who want to see them. ~ Henri Matisse


I went to see my friend Mary today who lives in an assisted living facility. I have known Mary for five years now, and we met each other while Mattie was battling cancer. Since her son also battled cancer and died, we have that commonality. What a commonality it is! Some people share a neighborhood, a favorite ice cream, a political party, a religious ideology, etc. But a bond over cancer seems to level the playing field and though Mary and I are different people and certainly a different generation, we always have had great compassion for one another. It has been hard seeing my friend drift away due to her neurological disease.Mary is no longer able to communicate, yet I know she is alert and is taking in everything that is being said. 

When I arrived today, Mary seemed tired and out of sorts, but Mary is the classic example of what Henri Matisse was talking about in his quote. Living with a neurological disorder is like hell on earth in many ways. It leaves you unable to walk, move, do any basic activities for one's self, talk, and last but not least comes the inability to eat and breathe. Despite Mary's grave circumstances, somehow listening to me talking today to her and her caregiver perked her up. I try to imagine myself in Mary's shoes and frankly I wouldn't be doing as well as her. Yet on some level Mary appreciates what she has, which is a daughter who visits her daily, a caregiver by her side, and on occasion she takes delight in hearing a conversation. These are her flowers in life. 

One of the topics of conversation today was food. Trying to find foods that Mary can eat and swallow. Food is one of my favorite topics, mainly because I love to eat. The more I was talking about food, the more I saw Mary eating in front of me. It just points out that eating is truly a social thing and how we as human beings respond to each other. In this particular way, Mary and I share the same flowers. Our flowers are people! People have a way of certainly bringing us pain, but in those we trust and love, they can bring us great happiness and joy. Happiness even when there isn't much to be happy about it.

I learned that lesson deeply when Mattie was battling cancer. Our network of friends and our different communities came out of the wood work to help us. Some days in the hospital I did not know if I was coming or going, but knowing that there were others out there thinking of us and standing behind us made all the difference in the world. May we all find our own flowers to cling to during life's challenges. Because in all reality they are the only thing that can carry us through.


No comments: