Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 19, 2014

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2005. I was working in the kitchen and naturally my sidekick was with me. Mattie always wanted to be part of the process and he responded positively to responsibility at an early age. If I was doing a task, he wanted to do it too. Which was most likely why I snapped a photo of that moment in time.

Quote of the day: It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power. ~ Alan Cohen  


Peter and I had a plan for the day today, which we established last night. One of our goals was to go out to lunch and to bring my stack of Foundation paper work with me. We established this tradition early on, of going out to lunch and working. We seem to get a lot more accomplished over a weekend lunch, when we are together and can brainstorm Foundation issues and next steps. Maybe it is being out of our home, away from the usual distractions, or perhaps it is having food and conversation that simply works. All I know is when things begin piling up for me and I deem that there are Foundation items that must be discussed, we plan a working lunch.  

I got up early today to get a jump on the day and one of the things I decided to tackle before proceeding with the day was to clean out a large flower pot within our living room. This flower pot had my beautiful windmill palm in it. However, we noticed that the palm got infected and died. Not a pleasant sight in the middle of winter, but I have learned that some plants really do not winterize well inside a home. This palm was clearly such a candidate. Any case, Peter carried the large pot outside on our deck and I decided to scrub out the pot and wash it out so we could repot a beautiful croton plant in its place. I turned on our hose. Mind you it is in the 30s outside, and frankly this did not seem to be a red flag to me, since I have used our hose before in the winter time. Any case, while having the hose on and cleaning out the flower pot, Peter noticed the water wasn't coming out of the outside water spigot properly. He untwisted the hose and then it seemed to work better. Once things were cleaned up we both proceeded inside. When we opened our front door, Peter panicked and when I saw what he was panicking about, I got it! We had a flood all over our kitchen floor, an inch deep and the water was gushing into our hallway. If we didn't mobilize sooner, it could have easily migrated to our dining and living rooms. Peter grabbed a broom and tried to brush the water out our front door, until we remembered our wet/dry vacuum in our shed. Thank goodness that Peter likes gadgets. Because this gadget saved our home today. While Peter was digging through the shed to get out the vacuum and assemble it, I was trying to manage the water inside. The water couldn't have been sitting on the floors for more than 10 minutes and between the two of us we moved quickly.  

What was Peter's greatest concern was that we had burst a water pipe and therefore if that was the case, no amount of vacuuming would have solved this problem. Thankfully a pipe did not burst. Instead the hose was just frozen and when I turned on the water faucet outside, the water couldn't come out of the hose, so it backed up into the walls and into our kitchen. Once we had the majority of the water sucked up, we called our complex's maintenance who came over and felt we handled this very well and now of course needed to have air move over the space to dry it to prevent the floors from buckling and my worse fear mold. The complex was completely out of fans. We have two fans typically, but we lent one to our older neighbor and we did not want to take it from her since she still uses it. So we scrambled and went looking for a fan today. It isn't fan season, but we did track one down at a store. So now we have fans going, we have the windows open (mind you it is in the 30s), and we put an air purifier in the kitchen. This scenario could have been much much worse today. We destroyed a rug, but no furniture was damaged and all the floors seem intact right now. All I know is I had a good intention to clean out a dead plant and replace it, and instead I landed up washing out part of our first floor. Needless to say, we are both tired from a full day of cleaning and dealing with water everywhere. 

No comments: