Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 27, 2014

Monday, January 27, 2014

Monday, January 27, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2007. If I had to entitle this photo something it would be, "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH already!!!" As you can see Mattie was on the floor laughing and yet using his arm to hide his face from my camera. There were moments when Mattie couldn't take my need to capture a photo. That was just such a moment. 


Quote of the day: There is no point treating a depressed person as though she were just feeling sad, saying, 'There now, hang on, you'll get over it.' Sadness is more or less like a head cold- with patience, it passes. Depression is like cancer. Barbara Kingsolver


The other day I received an email from a friend and colleague. She wanted me to know that she had a vivid dream and Mattie was in it. The dream wasn't your typical dream with a child in it! Instead my friend's dream involved Mattie conducting a research presentation with her. In fact, in the dream he was rehearsing his presentation with my friend and was determined to get his delivery just right. I asked my friend how old Mattie was in her dream? After all, most researchers are typically adults, especially if Mattie was co-presenting with my friend. Turns out Mattie was ONLY seven in her dream and yet she said he was "a pistol." He had spunk, determination, and could hold his own with the adults around him. I find all of this absolutely fascinating because my friend knows Mattie solely through the blog. She never met him in person. Yet despite not having direct knowledge of Mattie, she was able to capture his personality beautifully and in a way as I told her I don't believe in coincidence. To me, Mattie was sending me a message, through my friend. There would be no other reason for my friend to dream about Mattie, much less dream about him presenting research to an audience. I must admit that this dream leaves me in great reflection. 

My friend's interpretation is that Mattie wants Peter and I to know he is proud of us. He is proud of the psychosocial research we are involved with on behalf of children with cancer. Maybe this is correct. As Mattie's art teacher at school always used to say, "Mattie is an old soul." Also true! This old soul was communicating to my friend and I am so grateful that she took the time to tell me. She could have easily kept the dream to herself, but I would have missed out on this wonderful Mattie sign. Post-Mattie's death, I look for signs in everything around me. Not that I sit and wait for them, but I am open to them in whatever form they come to me in. Even an email!!!

In the midst of working today on various Foundation items, I had the opportunity to have lunch with my college roommate. Leslie's daughter has done many wonderful projects with Mattie Miracle and her latest endeavor is to make these stretchy band sunshine key chain pulls. These stretch bands are very popular with the pre-teen and teen crowd! Faye's bands will be featured and sold at this year's 5th anniversary Foundation Walk. Needless to say I got a preview of Faye's lovely work and now I am happy to be able to have a sunshine (a Mattie symbol) on my purse. A real highlight of my day! I always feel it is a GREAT gift when I hear our Foundation message is getting into the hearts and minds of the next generation. 

No comments: