Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 30, 2014

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2008, basically five months before Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. That afternoon, after school, Charlotte came home with us. This was Charlotte's first visit to our home and as you can see she and Mattie had a great time jumping up and down. I want to point out the kind of character Mattie was. If you look closely at his bed, you will see his mattress covered in a yellow dinosaur fitted sheet. But notice there was something blue on top of it. Mattie insisted one day that we inflate an aerobed mattress. So literally Mattie went through a phase of sleeping on top of two mattresses at night. As my faithful readers know, Mattie and Charlotte met in kindergarten and became instantaneous friends. In fact, Mattie called Charlotte "his girlfriend" and said he was going to marry her. He was so convinced of this that he gave her a plastic ring from a dentist check up. The ring was his version of an "engagement ring." I have to admit this was all very intense for me with a five year old, but I did not fight it. On some level Mattie knew he had to express his true feelings early on in life, because time was not on his side.  

Quote of the day: In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed. ~ Khalil Gibran 

I spent most of the day working by the computer. As my faithful readers know, my desk and office space is now in Mattie's room. I have set up shop right by the window. In the winter, I can watch the birds at our feeders and in the spring and summer, I will be able to see our garden and listen to Mattie's fountains. Fountains which Mattie and Peter made by hand for my birthday in 2008 (days before Mattie's diagnosis!). While working today, two friends passed by and waved hi to me. With that, I opened the window and got to chat for a few minutes before we all froze and had to go back inside. I enjoy my window views and I know friends are getting used to seeing me sitting there.  

In the midst of working, I took a break and made chocolate pudding for my friend Mary who lives in an assisted living facility. While doing this, my friend Karen who lives in New York City was text messaging me back and forth. She wanted to know what I was up to at that moment, and well I told her about the pudding in process. On a cold, long and busy day, I must admit chocolate pudding sounds quite good too. Any case, by the time we finished typing, I think I left Karen with pudding on the brain. After work she went shopping in the city and snapped a photo of pudding in her store. What fascinated the both of us was the PRICE! Check out how much a small container of chocolate pudding is in NYC!!! I told her I am ready to move to NYC, make pudding and sell it for a profit. Money going to the foundation!!! 

Like tonight's quote pointed out sharing of laughter and life's simpler pleasures have great merit. This photo of pudding had me laughing and somehow the laughing helped make the day a bit lighter. The irony about all of this is as a grieving parent, I have had to learn (and it has taken me a while) that in the midst of remembering Mattie and living with his loss, that I am also permitted to laugh and experience other things. This is a very hard rude awakening and at times still hard to accept. Because sometimes in laughter or moments of happiness, I feel intense guilt, conflict, and confusion. 

No comments: