Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 10, 2014

Monday, March 10, 2014

Monday, March 10, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2006. Mattie was four years old and a character as you can see! I asked Mattie to get dressed for the day, and since I did not specify that he had to take off his pajamas first, this was the resulting product! Quite the look no? 



Quote of the day: Your body is away from me but there is a window open from my heart to yours. From this window, like the moon I keep sending news secretly. ~ Rumi






While working at my desk this morning, I had a visit from our resident falcon. There is something about this fellow that intrigues me. He is checking out my sparrows who come to my feeders, but so far I haven't seen him chase and catch one. Thankfully!

I went to visit my doctor today and we talked about my headaches. She has followed my case for years and I was happy she had some medications to recommend. I am hoping it helps but am also happy that she wants to see me in a month to find out and talk about next steps. All I know is the pain is not tolerable and makes every aspect of living very challenging. Obviously as many know, when your head hurts, you also can't eat, concentrate, and have no energy to move around.  

This evening, Peter and I hosted our Foundation Walk Planning committee meeting at our friend Tina's home. Since the majority of our volunteers live in Alexandria, it is important that our meeting be in a central location. I was very grateful Tina allowed me the opportunity to use her home, she helped me host the meeting, and I really think it was our best planning meeting yet. Thirteen volunteers came, we sat down and had dinner together, and brainstormed this year's fifth anniversary Walk! The ideas generated were fabulous and there was great rapport and camaraderie at the table! 







Peter and I know we can not run the annual Walk without the amazing volunteers that we have! Of course no meal would be complete without desserts! It was a wonderful way to spend the evening and I feel like I have some great directions for tweaking this year's event!!!

No comments: