Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 4, 2014

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 -- Mattie died 234 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2004. Mattie was almost two years old. As you can see he was outside with us exploring the snow on our deck. One of the many things I loved about Mattie were his cute and very soft cheeks. It wasn't unusual for us to rub cheeks with each other. Mattie wasn't a very touchy feely kind of kid for the most part. However, he had his affectionate moments and during those times, there would be cheek rubs or nose to nose contact so that Mattie could look deep within my eyes. 

Quote of the day: Friendship isn't about whom you have known the longest... It's about who came, and never left your side... ~ Unknown


When I got up this morning, I heard a chirping from Mattie's window. But it wasn't a sound I typically hear coming from our deck. When I looked out the window, this is what a saw.... a female Cardinal. She isn't as brilliantly red as her male counterpart, but her chirping sound is very distinctive. In the city, we get hundreds of sparrows a day, but seeing this cutie was a real treat for me. While I was seeing birds, so was my friend Mary at the bird feeders I set up for her. Mary's caregiver let me know that they were visited by cardinals, blue jays, and sparrows today! It only took the birds five days to find the seed, which is remarkable, given the fact that they are not used to being fed in that location. However, I think the snow helped greatly because the birds could easily see the feeders! It made me happy to know that a part of nature is now with Mary. 

I had the opportunity to see both of my friends today who are ill. As my lifetime friend Karen said to me today....... is this really a good idea? It was a good question given the fact that I am balancing a lot, have been sick and depleted for so long, and of course the sheer emotional impact of such visits. During one of my visits today, I had the opportunity to chat with my friend's daughter and interact with her grand daughter who is 3. She is a precious age and aspects of her remind me of Mattie. Fully on, engaged, and smart as a whip. Any case, I care about my friend and it is so nice to have the opportunity to get to know her family in this meaningful way. I rarely have the chance to see or play with a child any more, so it is ironic that my friend's grand daughter gravitates to me. While I was rubbing lotion on my friends hands and arms, the little one wanted lotion too. She was so excited by getting some on her hands and her sheer joy and energy made all of us laugh and feel better today. This kind of energy can only really be generated in a child and yet it is contagious. One of the many things Peter and I miss about Mattie. Life from an adult lens is fine, but at times boring, or perhaps stagnant. Definitely not the case when you see the world through the eyes of a child. 

Later in the day, I had the opportunity to see my friend Mary. Mary slept for a good portion of my visit, but then awoke and saw me. I was so happy to see her perk up, open her eyes, and eat ice cream with me. I am quite used to one way conversations now with Mary, I have been for some time. I told Mary about a concert I went to on Friday with my friend Heidi. The concert featured Irish music, with a band from Ireland. Mary loves Irish music, so though she couldn't come to the concert, I brought her a CD back for her to listen to. So today we heard it together and I chatted with her. Mary maybe declining, but there is no doubt in my mind that while I am talking to her, she is listening, tracking me, and enjoys the most basic of human needs..... touch and connection.

No comments: