Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 20, 2014

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken on Easter of 2006. We took Mattie to his favorite restaurant. The funny part about all of that was we did not know there was going to be a visit from the Easter Bunny that day! We were all surprised. Mattie was a lot like me, in that he did not care for these big type of creatures coming up and interacting with you. However, at Mattie's age, I would have dove right under the table to avoid the bunny. Mattie was braver, he looked to me first to assess the situation. When I told him it was okay, that this was a friendly bunny who wanted to give him an Easter treat, Mattie relaxed a bit and posed for a photo. I remember that Easter as if it were yesterday. Hard to believe it was eight years ago!


Quote of the day: You are on your own. And you know what you know. And you are the one who'll decide where to go. ~ Dr. Seuss

There is something to be said about Dr. Seuss' quote. I feel in so many ways, "you are on your own" applies to us on any major holiday. Because we are on our own both literally and figuratively. Spending time gathered with family and friends over holidays no longer sits well with Peter and I. We can't share in their joys, their happiness, and I am not sure when and if it ever will. So what does that mean for us? I don't know. How we chose to spend the weekend was quite exhausting, and neither one of us were feeling particularly energetic to begin with. 

Cleaning our outdoor spaces was an absolute killer this weekend. We made significant headway between yesterday and today. But did this bring me joy and happiness? I wouldn't quite say that. I am quite sure Peter's back hurts him from lifting shrubs and bags of dirt and with my significant lack of sleep, just moving from one location to another seemed like a feat. 

We had to buy more plants today and while on the George Washington Parkway, I got my camera out and snapped some photos of our glorious trees in bloom. Washington has these electric Red Bud Trees that capture my attention every spring. 






I realize this photo is blurry, given that I am in a moving car this is no surprise, but you can see the incredible cherry trees are in bloom and are stunning!






Memorial Bridge dotted with daffodils!













Today I cleaned our balcony window and Peter potted all new scrubs outside. We moved our indoor trees outside and I love this time of year when I can see so much greenery outside our windows. 





I have planted several butterfly friendly plants this year. This erysimum is one example. Throughout our deck is also sun, moon, and butterfly themed things in Mattie's honor. 








Peter found a climbing hydrangea
today! That is a new one for me. I did not know such a plant even existed. So I can't wait to see what this vine looks like. Also on our deck are shells and pine cones that Mattie collected over time. There are collections and symbols everywhere in our garden, you just need to look closely to find them! Something I know Mattie would have loved and appreciated.

No comments: