Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 22, 2014

Friday, August 22, 2014

Friday, August 22, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2003. Mattie was 11 months old. We took him to the Huntington Museum and Gardens in Los Angeles. This was one of my favorite photos because it appeared that neither Mattie nor Peter knew I was capturing them in action. Check out Mattie examining the bamboo, and Peter just content to have Mattie on his back! To me it was priceless. 


Quote of the day: Consider a tree for a moment. As beautiful as trees are to look at, we don't see what goes on underground - as they grow roots. Trees must develop deep roots in order to grow strong and produce their beauty. But we don't see the roots. We just see and enjoy the beauty. In much the same way, what goes on inside of us is like the roots of a tree. ~ Joyce Meyer

The other night my parents and I watched the 1945 movie, Love Letters. I happen to love old movies, and though I tend not to go to the movies and see modern days films, I would say I am a big movie buff. I am a great admirer of old films. Mostly because of their substance, plot, great actors, and diverse talents. I have heard my mom talk about Love Letters for YEARS!!! Why? Because all my life I have heard that I was named, Victoria, because my mom LOVED this movie. The irony is this is the FIRST time in my life that I ever saw this movie. I am so happy I did! 

I love Jennifer Jones (the lead actress in this movie) as an actress. I thought she was very talented and I remember seeing her in a different movie when I was a teenager. She starred in a movie about St. Bernadette. I happened to love the story of St. Bernadette, and chose this saint as my confirmation name. When I saw Jennifer Jones in the movie, The Song of Bernadette, I would say that she confirmed my saint choice for me. It very much influenced my decision as a teenager back then. Now many years later, seeing Jennifer Jones again, playing in this VERY different role, with a character who has my name was just as moving. 

I remember when Mattie was in kindergarten, his teacher gave him the assignment of finding out how he got his name. It was a big project and he had to talk with me about and write about it! We did a story about his name together! I remember the story was posted on the wall at his school, along with the other children's stories within his class. Seeing this movie reminded me of this assignment Mattie and I did together, and just like I told Mattie, understanding one's name is VERY important! A name is not just a name! It defines you, it is the first thing that people get to understand about you, it is what people remember, and in many cases, it also describes your character and personality! I know Mattie's name, Matthew, truly described him. Matthew means, "a gift from God" and Victoria means "victory." Both get at our character and strength in many ways. For those of you who are interested in old movies, I included a Love Letters plot for you below. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The plot of the 1945 Movie, Love Letters:


Alan Quinton (Joseph Cotten), an American soldier in Italy during World War II, has been writing letters for his friend, Roger Morland (Robert Sully), a man who admits he "never had any standards, manners or taste." Alan has never met Victoria Remington, but regards her as a "pin-up girl of the spirit," to whom he can express feelings he has never expressed in person. He realizes that Victoria has fallen in love with the letters and is concerned that she will be disappointed by the real Roger. However, Roger abruptly leaves for paratrooper training in England.

Alan is subsequently injured on the Italian front and finds out that both Roger and Victoria are dead. He is having trouble readjusting to civilian life and spending time with his fiance, Helen Wentworth (Anita Louise). He decides to live for a while at his aunt's farm in Essex. In London, his brother takes him to a party at which he meets Dilly Carson (Ann Richards) and Singleton (Jennifer Jones). He drunkenly tells them the story about falling in love with a woman he's never met, and Dilly realizes he is referring to Roger and Victoria. She tells Alan that a murder was committed and the letters were somehow involved.

While in Essex, Alan visits Longreach—the road to which he addressed all the letters—and finds out that Victoria died over a year ago. He also finds out that Roger was murdered by his wife, and Alan feels somewhat guilty. Back in London, Dilly informs him that Singleton is suffering from amnesia and is actually the real Victoria. She begs him not to tell Singleton that he was the one who wrote the letters because Victoria fell in love with Roger through the letters and married him solely based on them.

Dilly recounts that one day, she found Roger stabbed to death in the country house on Longreach, but Victoria was completely unable to remember what happened, even though she was holding the murder weapon right beside him. After a trial during which she cannot remember anything, she is sent to a prison psychiatric hospital for a year and then released into the care of Dilly. Victoria never regained her memory, and continues to now live as Singleton. Singleton realizes that Alan is in love with Victoria, but does not realize Victoria is actually herself. Regardless, Alan and Singleton marry after he gets permission from her adopted mother, Beatrice Remington (Gladys Cooper). However, their marriage is constantly scarred by Alan's love of the "other woman."

Beatrice returns to the farm and while conversing with Singleton, Singleton begins to remember the events of that fateful night: As Roger begins to drink, Victoria rereads the letters to remind herself of the man she loves and not the bitter man she sees in front of her. Roget confesses that he is not the one who wrote the letters, and he becomes abusive. Beatrice takes a knife and is the one to stab him to death as Victoria attempts to save the letters he had thrown into the fireplace.


As Alan arrives at the house, Victoria recalls her true identity and they fall into each other's arms.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I included some photos of Los Angeles for you! These are the sights I see around my parent's home! This is their "Mountain." A very different sight for me that what I see when I look out the window in Washington, DC!















Near this location is usually where I can always spot bunnies. It is just a stone's throw from my parent's front door!


















This is my parent's persimmons tree! It is filled with fruit and during the fall, these loves will turn a beautiful orange color and will be ready to eat. 

















I end tonight with a view from my parent's backyard! You can see why the deer are happy up here in this calm and tranquil community. It is no surprise that so much wildlife can be seen here. Of course coyotes and mountain lions also exist here, and I could do without either of them!



No comments: