Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 17, 2014

Sunday, August 17th, 2014

Sunday, August 17, 2014






“You can talk with someone for years, everyday, and still, it won't mean as much as what you can have when you sit in front of someone, not saying a word, yet you feel that person with your heart, you feel like you have known the person for forever.... connections are made with the heart, not the tongue.” 
― C. JoyBell C.






Hi, it is Peter writing tonight.  Vicki needed a break from the computer, so I stepped up and did the blog.  

The shot below was taken when Vicki and I were in Fort Lauderdale this past April. We had just finished a nice meal together after a long day of travel, and had spent the meal processing the day, talking about the day (even though we had spent every minute of it together).... something truly special for me.

So tonight's blog is about relationships and connections one makes in life. What do relationships mean to me? I am not sure I can answer this in a single blog posting, but I'll at least get started.  Well, I must say relationships mean a lot more than they did in the past.  Perhaps loss does that to someone, but I am not sure.  All I do know is that it is important to me now, to connect with someone when I am dealing with them.  I am far from perfect at this, but I am trying.  As someone who has experienced great loss in their life, the natural tendency is to continually question the why and the what of what we do each day and how does this all fits within the the "grand plan" of life (whatever that is).  Does it make sense and if so, why and if not then why not?  Lots of questions yet few answers and even fewer good feelings.

Therefore, I have concluded that when someone is engaging me in a conversation, that I want to then reach out and connect to them.  Because connecting with someone and having a relationship with them is something real and important and unique.  It makes me feel as though I am not some isolated or alienated person who lost their only child to a horrific disease and traumatic experience, but rather, someone who is connecting with another human being.  A connection is made, a relationship started...

I posted tonight's picture because it is one of me and Vicki after having had a nice connection. You can tell by the look on our faces.  I know it sounds corny, but for those of you who know, having someone to connect to in a meaningful way means more than anything in this world.  I am so very fortunate to have someone like Vicki in my life to connect with.  I think the worst thing that could happen to someone is to be disconnected from their world, something I personally could not tolerate nor survive.

So, I say to you, reach out to people, no matter how awkward or silly it may make you feel or appear to be, because it is by connecting to people that you formulate meaningful and substantive relationships in your life, relationships that sustain you, but also forever change you, for the better.  I can testify that this indeed what happened to me when I met Vicki, and is something that forever changed me for the better.

No comments: