Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 3, 2014

Friday, October 3, 2014

Friday, October 3, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2007. This was classic Mattie! Sometimes he got tired of my need for photos and when he did, his arms would come up and this was what I would get. As you can see he was laughing and having a good old time while covering his face and avoiding the camera!



Quote of the day: Unexpected kindness is the most powerful, least costly, and the most underrated agent of human change. ~ Bob Kerrey


I received this email today from my friend Charlie with a link to a story that had this photo in it. The story was about this young girl who decided to take rocks, transform them and give them out to people in her local mall. The rocks came with a birth certificate and a poem. She entitled her self created project, Kindness is contagious. It was a very touching story because she literally was giving away her crafts for FREE at the mall and people at first did not understand her intentions. They thought she wanted money or a donation. However, when they finally understood that she just wanted to make someone happy, the reactions were touching! Some people cried, some people smiled, and some people just felt very special to be going home with a gift created by someone they did not know and with a gift they did not pay for. I think this girl reminds us that gifts can come in all shapes and sizes, but the true gift here came from the heart. 

Though Charlie sent me the story because of its touching nature, she also sent it to me because she thought about Mattie as soon as she saw the stones. She had a feeling that Mattie would have transformed these stones right into bugs with the help of a hot glue gun! Bugs were something that intrigued Mattie to no end and I am not sure if he actually loved them or he loved watching my reaction to them!

Any case this story brought a smile to my face today which I needed since I haven't been feeling well and was also glued in front of the computer trying to write! Not the best combination!

No comments: