Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 15, 2016

Friday, July 15, 2016

Friday, July 15, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken on July 15, 2007. How do I know? I know because on the table are two goblets. We only used to take these glasses out on our anniversary. These glasses belonged to my paternal grandparents and they were given to them on their anniversary. By the way, their anniversary was also July 15th. So Peter and I carried on the tradition, as it was very symbolic to use these glasses to acknowledge our wedding anniversary. Also notice that Patches, our cat, was outside celebrating with us too!


Quote of the day: Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it meaning. ~ Chuck Palahniuk


In honor of our wedding anniversary, I pulled out several photo albums and then digitally told photos of the hard copy photos. As you will see below, some of the photos have lost their coloring. 

This photo was taken on our wedding day in Rye, NY. It was an amazingly hot day (over 100 degrees) and how either of us managed outside posing for photos was beyond me. 
This photo was taken the summer I met Peter at college. If you have the chance to ask Peter how we met, he will tell you a very humorous tale. In a nut shell, Peter and I were in our college choir together. But frankly I never noticed him there. One summer we both stayed at college to take extra classes, and while there, we ran into each other. Peter tried to make polite conversation with me but again I blew him off. Peter asked me, "how is choir." My response was, "why do you want to know?" Peter's response was, "because I'm in choir with you." I literally went to find a mutual friend of ours who was in choir to confirm that Peter was part of our choir. Because basically I did not believe Peter and thought he was throwing out some sort of line to me. It was from that point on, that our friendship developed. 

A New Year's Eve celebration in the 90's!
I don't really remember this photo, other than I know it was taken at college. What the occasion was, I have no idea!
A Christmas photo, pre-Mattie. You can see our furry family addition here. Patches, our calico, was with us for 16 years! She was an important part of our family. 
One summer trip to Los Angeles (to visit my parents) we decided to paint my parent's deck. My mom snapped this photo of us. Peter and I are always doing tasks and activities. It is what we excel at, even before Mattie was born. 
Then of course Mattie came into our lives. 
This is our life now, post Mattie's death. The death of a child to cancer tests a marriage greatly, and also tests you as a person. Trying to find your way through this quagmire is not easy. For a marriage to work, it takes a great deal of patience, flexibility, care for the other person, love, and trust. But after the loss of a child it also takes forgiveness for the situation and a willingness to find a way to continue moving forward together. 














A photo of us in March of 2014, as Mattie Miracle was the recipient of the Flame of Hope Award given by Georgetown University Hospital. We were decked out in our Mattie Miracle colors! 

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki,
Your anniversary collage of pictures was beautiful. I enjoyed looking at each photo. Marriage is hard work so to feel after 21 years that you did marry your best friend is a true gift. You and Peter have traveled the road of wonderful and tragic together. It is easy to spend time in the wonderful. However, you & Peter traveled the road of absolute tragic with the diagnosis of Mattie's Cancer, then death. It takes true love, respect, and a willingness to understand each other's feelings for a couple to survive this forever loss.
Knowing both of you is a true treasure!
Margy