Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 16, 2016

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2007. In 2007, I was voted to be the president of a national mental health association. An association that had over 6,000 members. I was the youngest president the association ever had. Because of my role with the association, I had to go to their July conference. Otherwise, for the most part I never really traveled without Mattie with me. The conference was held in New Orleans, right after Hurricane Katrina. At the conference, I made sure to bring back a fan and Mardi Gras mask for Mattie from our opening conference party. As you can see, when I got home and gave them to Mattie, he decided to parade around our home with them! 


Quote of the day: Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. Mark Twain


Yesterday evening we had our anniversary dinner at L'Auberge Chez Francois in Great Falls, VA. I had heard about this restaurant for years but had never gone until July 2015, when a friend of mine took me there for my birthday. The restaurant made such an impression on me that I knew this was where I wanted to go to acknowledge our anniversary. As you can see from the outside of the restaurant, it has a very European feeling to it. Then when you walk through the doors and see their outdoor garden, you are transported somewhere else in time.

Though it was hot and humid out, Peter was a good sport and we ate outside. There were a few other brave souls out there with us, but for the most part we had a great deal of space and tranquility. The outdoor terrace has two fountains, which you can hear running, and of course it is filled with greenery and beautiful flowers. Sitting in this atmosphere for a while, you immediately begin to relax. 
This was my view from where I was sitting!

The restaurant does a five course meal. You pick your appetizer, entree and dessert, but this is how the evening runs:

1. First course...They start you off with an amuse bouche (which was a demi tasse cup filled with a lentil type soup --- even if you don't like lentils, you will like this soup)
2. Second course....is a mesclun salad
3. Homemade grapefruit sorbet
4. Third course..... entrees (and the list to select from is large)
5. Dessert

This was Peter's entree..... salmon, shrimp, scallops, and lobster in a lobster broth
This was what my entree looked like. It was shrimp and scallops nicoise. 
Then this lovely dessert menu is presented to you!
Our waiter last evening was Fredy. Fredy was an old world waiter. He wasn't intrusive, but couldn't work hard enough to meet your every need. Though we did not tell Fredy it was our anniversary, he came out with an extra dessert with a candle on it. He said it looked like a special evening for us, and therefore we needed to celebrate. Amazing fellow! I felt like I was on an episode of Downton Abbey last night..... dinner was that special. I think Fredy confirms what I already knew.... when you work with someone who is kind, your whole dining experience can be transformed. 

Here is a close up of the chocolate souffle that we ordered. I haven't had a souffle in years. However, I literally was presented with three different desserts to eat, which for a dessert lover was a match made in heaven. 

No comments: