Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 4, 2017

Sunday, June 4, 2017

Sunday, June 4, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2005 at Morris Farm in North Carolina. We always stopped at this Farm on our way to the Outer Banks to pick up fresh vegetables. Mattie did not mind this stop because the farm had all sorts of tractors for the kids to sit on and play with! Our little Farmer Brown!



Quote of the day: Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller. ~ Ibn Battuta




On our 5 1/2 hour car trip to the Outer Banks today, we stopped at Morris Farm. Of course Morris Farm is NOT like what it used to be when we took Mattie years ago! It was a lot smaller then, more like a mom and pop stand. Now look at it!!!
This is the interior of the "farm stand." You can see it isn't a small place anymore. It has almost everything in it from fruits to vegetables and even baked goods. We came back to our condo tonight with a homemade Tomato Pie. They tell me it is a southern thing. The verdict is out! 






This is the interior of our condo. It may photograph better than it actually is! Peter and I were shocked about this condo. It has a postage sized window looking at the ocean and the condition of the rental is horrible. Everything inside is VERY OLD and DATED. Top it off, the cleaning crew who turned the property around did a terrible job. So much so that I was cleaning for two hours (fortunately I travel with all my cleaning products). It got to the point where I decided to call the rental agency and give them a mouthful. The first woman on the phone knew she was over her head with me, and immediately forwarded me to her manager. The manager was fantastic and registered all my complaints. She plans on talking to the people who own this property to see if they will reimburse us part of our rental. Sounds great to me. What Tiffany doesn't know, is that I am calling her back tomorrow with our list of everything that doesn't work in this unit!

Now despite the inside, this is the view from the units deck. It is very lovely, peaceful, and NOT full of people. 
See the  number of people on the beach!?
Outside the condo complex, we saw a bunny! This would have been a sighting Mattie would have LOVED! We used to look for bunnies at dusk when we came to the Outer Banks with Mattie. 


While away, I still will be posting photos from the Walk. As I have a week more of photos to share, believe it or not. Tonight's photos feature LEGOs at the Walk.

It is thanks to the WAMALUGs and WamaLTCs that we had this incredible display of motorized trains and cityscape. 
It is a display that captures the attention of all ages. 
There were two tents of Legos. One was the trains and cityscape and the other was run by Play-Well Teknologies. They have come to our Walk three years in a row and do hands on activities with the kids. 
Here were two of our volunteers working at the Play-Well tent at the Walk. 
The fellow on the left is Ian, from Play-Well. He does a great job at our event. In fact, Ian won our Lego raffle basket this year, and one of my friends told me that he opened up the basket and started giving the items to kids at the event. 
In addition to structured Lego activities, there were also free play tables for kids.

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Hi Vicki,

When you mentioned the problems with the condo, it had slipped my mind you were traveling. I thought you were talking about home, when I referred to our condo, owners complain about this & that!!!

I travel with cleaning supplies also. Sometimes, all I need to do is the Lysol wipe down in a hotel room. Maybe it does not even need it but I feel better.

I am sorry, you spent the first hours of your trip, scrubbing. We had this happen once. At Mountain Lake where we had rented a house. We got there and there was even garbage from the last people so I called immediately and they had a crew come and remove garbage, vacuum, then I still lysoled everything. We ended up being comped because it went from bad to worse before we left. I like the Ocean better. Mountains, greenery, flowers are all beautiful but I find peace in water.