Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 9, 2018

Friday, March 9, 2018

Friday, March 9, 2018

Tonight's photo was taken in April of 2009. Mattie was in the hospital for another round of treatment. As way typical, I snapped photos of Mattie's journey every day. That day he was admitted to the hospital and when I decided to capture the moment on camera, Mattie decided to throw his legs over his head and hide his face. Keep in mind he was connected to a large IV pole and he had a hard cast on his right leg. Which made his leg heavy! Clearly the cast and IV did not stop him in the least. To me this photo captures Mattie's personality, character, and spirit! I just love that one brown eye poking through.... staring at me!



Quote of the day: If animals could speak, the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow; but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much.  Mark Twain


The April Item Drive, in memory of Mattie's 16th birthday, is definitely underway. Today, I went through twenty Amazon boxes and consolidated and sorted items. This will help me as more things continue to be mailed to us from all over the United States. This may not look like a lot of items now, but prior to my opening boxes and sorting things today, Mattie's bedroom looked like a warehouse. 

Do you see who was supervising the process? Indie, our tortoise shell cat! She doesn't need to say a word.... her actions speak volumes. As Mark Twain pointed out in his quote. 

Are you wondering about Sunny? Don't worry, Sunny was with us too. He was sitting next to me as I took this photo! I joke about this often, but Sunny and Indie are my day time companions and Mattie Miracle assistants. 

Check out Mattie Miracle's Wish List for the April Item Drive:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/2UQOK4GY955ZL/ref=nav_wishlist_lists_1

I am signing off for tonight. It has been a full day of a licensure board meeting, dealing with Walk permitting applications, emails, toiletry drive items, and the list goes on. Tomorrow, Mattie Miracle is hosting a four hour Standards implementation strategy session in Arlington, VA. So it will be another working weekend! Though I must admit, many of our weekends are spent working. I suppose one could say that work is my grief coping strategy. Perhaps! But I also know if I don't work, the Foundation comes to a stand still. That fear is probably my biggest motivator. 

No comments: