Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 2, 2018

Saturday, June 2, 2018

Saturday, June 2, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken on April 4, 2009. This was Mattie's 7th and last birthday. He celebrated the official day in the hospital. Specifically in the child life playroom. A room Mattie frequented. Mattie spent that whole morning decorating the playroom for his party, as he awaited his friends to come to the party after school. The reason I am showing you this photo tonight is because of the boxes of cupcakes in front of Mattie. They came from Georgetown Cupcake, a company that is very generous with Mattie's hospital, as they provide cupcakes free of charge to all children having special occasions within the hospital.  I can't think of Georgetown Cupcake without reflecting on this moment in time. 


Quote of the day: You are the illness I will never cure. You are the poem I will never write. You are the thought I will never finish. You are the text I will never read. ~ Maria Elena


This is what the interior of Georgetown Cupcake looks like. It is a hopping and happening place. I would love to know how many cupcakes a day they sell, but from the pre-order line that I was on, I would say there were at least 70 bags of cupcakes awaiting pickup today alone. That doesn't account for the people behind me standing in line to order cupcakes. The cupcake business is alive and thriving apparently!!!

My friend's son is graduating today from high school. I have been to a few graduations since Mattie died, and I don't enjoy them AT ALL! I think Peter dislikes them even more than me. So when presented with today's invitation, I opted that Peter and I would not go to the ceremony but instead stay behind to run errands and set up the party. So first stop was Georgetown Cupcake. 

My friend and a her friends live in Alexandria, VA. So unlike me, they aren't as familiar with Georgetown Cupcake. But when my friend was looking for something special to go on the dessert table, I suggested these cupcakes, because they can design ANY logo to top the cupcakes. The fondant features Northeastern University's logo and mascot (the husky).
Then there are also mini cups with a cap and tassel. They smell delicious!!! Mind you, years ago I went around DC and Alexandria, VA on a cupcake tour with my friend Tina. Tina and I tried practically every bakery that makes cupcakes! My verdict still is that Georgetown Cupcake is number 1!





For occasions like this, I am better off working, rather than absorbing the significance of the day. That is what I say, but I already have a migraine, so my head is very aware of the day. I don't even need a Georgetown Cupcake, to think of Mattie. I just need cupcakes in general. Do you see the cupcake Anna (Mattie's physical therapist) was holding in this photo? I made MANY cupcakes for Mattie, any time I was home. Then I would take two dozen to the hospital with each admission. I used them as incentives to get Mattie to do his physical therapy. They were very effective. That day, Mattie shared a cupcake with Anna, as it was her birthday. But here's the thing.... Cupcakes were one of Mattie's foods of choice on chemo, and given how emaciated he was, I gave him anything he could tolerate eating! So the cupcake has SO MUCH significance to me!!!!

No comments: