Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 26, 2019

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 -- Mattie died 496 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2005. Mattie was three years old and loving trains. Everything train. Really anything with wheels. This was a typical sight on our floors..... tracks of all kinds. Trains everywhere. Mattie did not like playing alone, so Peter or I were always included in the antics. 

Quote of the day: Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes... including you. ~ Anne Lamott



I have lost track of how many days I have been living in pain from kidney stones. I do know it started in the beginning of February. My hope was to regain my strength this week after my surgery on Thursday. Apparently though this wasn't in the cards. 

I left our home at 10:45am to walk Sunny. We got back home around noon and I went upstairs to get something to prepare to do chores for the Foundation's Walk. As soon as I stepped into Mattie's bedroom (or my office), I felt like I was stepped into water. At first I was confused. I thought I had spilled something, but then as I began to assess the situation, I realized it wasn't a cat surprise and it wasn't an accident. We had a flood developing. The ceiling was perfectly fine, so how does water come up through the floors? This is a new one for me. Needless to say, because I am frazzled and not back to being myself, I called Peter. Peter immediately came home and I called our complex management to have them assess the issue.

Because I was gone from our home for only an hour, I was able to intervene early enough so that water could be picked up and fans and dehumidifiers set in place to dry the area. It is 10:30pm, and the equipment is still running in Mattie's room. The floor looks a bit warped but isn't buckling and hope that is a trend.

Needless to say, I had to empty out my clothes closet in Mattie's room, because the over flowing bath tub from the upstairs unit came through my closet walls. No one is living above me right now. The unit is being renovated and I have a contractor to thank for his carelessness as he was refacing a tub. 

I am glad that Peter was on the scene as he pinpointed where the leak was coming from and helped get the clean up process underway. 

All of this was stressful today and not conducive to healing. Indie was scared to see all the workmen, and hid under the bed. While Sunny was in the mix and followed all of us from room to room. 

Meanwhile, after all of this, I had the pleasure of going to Alexandria City Hall to pay for our permits... permits which are needed to host our Walk on private property. Dealing with City Hall on a good day makes me tense, but given how I have been feeling, today was not a good day. From there I ran around town to pick up items for our raffle. I will spare you the details, but suffice it to say, I really have to wonder how some companies remain in business. I arrived at one restaurant to pick up the gift certificate they were donating to Mattie Miracle, however, because the hostess wasn't there, none of the other staff had access to the certificates. So I was told to come back another time. That did not sit well with me. Then I went to another establishment, with an email in hand confirming the gift certificate being donated. This company did not seem to know their own computer system and I had to basically walk them through what was owed to me. 

Kidney stone recovery, a flood, and dealing with raffle vendors today have exhausted me beyond measure. 

No comments: