Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 25, 2019

Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 -- Mattie died 509 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2002. Mattie was three months old and to me Mattie looked much more like Peter as a baby. As Mattie became a toddler and definitely by preschool, he looked just like me. 





Quote of the day: Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change. ~ Wayne Dyer


Peter drove from Oklahoma City to Tulsa, for his meetings there tomorrow. While on his drive, he traversed the famous Route 66. Peter knows how I am fascinated by 66's history and perhaps I just like nostalgia. But why specifically? Naturally there is a Mattie link! Keep reading. 




U.S. Route 66 or U.S. Highway 66 (US 66 or Route 66), also known as the Will Rogers Highway, the Main Street of America or the Mother Road, was one of the original highways in the U.S. Highway System. US 66 was established on November 11, 1926, with road signs erected the following year. The highway, which became one of the most famous roads in the United States, originally ran from Chicago, Illinois, through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona before ending in Santa Monica in Los Angeles County, California, covering a total of 2,448 miles. US 66 underwent many improvements and realignments over its lifetime, but was officially removed from the United States Highway System in 1985 after it had been replaced in its entirety by segments of the Interstate Highway System. Portions of the road that passed through Illinois, Missouri, New Mexico, and Arizona have been communally designated a National Scenic Byway of the name "Historic Route 66," returning the name to some maps.

I absolutely LOVED the photos Peter sent to me! As soon as I saw them, what immediately popped into my head was the James Taylor song, Our Town. This song was featured in the movie Cars. I can't tell you how many times Peter and I watched this movie with Mattie. It was a movie we saw hundreds of times. I attached the clip of this song from the movie below. 

The song captures the pain of change beautifully. In the case of the movie, they were talking about how Route 66 was America's road! Thanks to the Mother Road, towns and communities flourished and catered to motorists. However, with the invention of the Interstate, Route 66 became obsolete. As did the many of the towns and stores. 
It is amazing how the brain associates things together. For me.... Route 66, the movie Cars, and Mattie are heavily intertwined. James Taylor's song touches my heart because it reminds me that things constantly change. Nothing stays the same. Not just with things, but with people too. As when I first saw the movie Cars in 2006, it would never have dawned on me that Mattie wouldn't be in my life three years later. 
The iconic signs along Route 66 capture my attention. It is a bit of history, or perhaps the nostalgia of simpler times. Where people had less, and yet seemed happier. 
I am saddened that we never had the opportunity to show Mattie Route 66, as I know he would have absolutely loved seeing and experiencing it. 

Who would have known that Route 66 and the song Our Town, could trigger such strong memories. But ironically they do! It all reminds me of Mattie and the terrible change we continue to endure each day with his loss. 


Our Town:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbHbRipzRgE

No comments: