Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 13, 2019

Friday, September 13, 2019

Friday, September 13, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken on August 21, 2008. Mattie was in his first month of treatment. That particular day, we received a visit at home from two teachers at Mattie's school. We had never met Dave (on the left) before, but we knew he was the head coach of the football team. The other teacher in this photo is Larry. Larry was actually one of Mattie's kindergarten teachers and he got to know Mattie quite well. Larry was also the assistant coach of the football team. That day they came over to our home to surprise Mattie with a signed team ball, a photo from the team, and other gear. 


Quote of the day: It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them. Mark Twain


I was headed out the door this morning to run my monthly licensure board meeting. At the same time I was gathering my things to leave and our home phone rang. After which my cell phone rang. I couldn't be late to my meeting, so I listened to the voice mail message in the car and then called back my professional counseling colleague. Betty and I go back a while, as I recruited her to be a part of the DC Mental Health Counselors Association board. In fact, she still serves on the board and she says that is only because of me (or I should say my legacy of leadership as Executive Director)! 


Betty wanted me to know that she serves on the National Capital board of American Mothers, and nominated me for the "Mother of the Year" award.

The ideals of American Mothers, Inc. began in the heart and mind of Anna Reeves Jarvis as she sought to heal the damage done to families caught in the conflict of the Civil War. By organizing a day of love and friendship across battle lines, this simple observance grew into the national holiday known as Mother’s Day for which American Mothers, Inc. is the official sponsor.

Criteria for nomination:

  • A nominee for Mother of the Year® must be the mother of one or more children.
  • She should embody those traits highly regarded in mothers and display the ability to strengthen family relationships.
  • She should exemplify in her life and conduct the precepts of the Golden Rule and the power of a mother’s inner strength to deal with the successes and challenges in life.
  • She should also exhibit an interest in her community by participation in programs and services that enrich mothers, children and/or families.
As Mark Twain's quote points out, it is better to deserve honors and not have them, than to have them but not deserve them. To me the fact that those around me want to nominate me for awards is very meaningful. Especially in this particular case because I am not sure society itself would call me a mom. I no longer balance any of the day to day challenges of motherhood. My type of mothering is a bit different, because I nurture a memory. I work hard at this so others know and remember Mattie, and in the process I use the lessons I learned from Mattie to help other children with cancer and their families. We shall see if "American Mothers" also deem me a mom. 

No comments: