Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 9, 2019

Monday, September 9, 2019

Monday, September 9, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken on September 1, 2009. This maybe the last photo I took of Mattie in the month of September, because a week later, he died. That day, Mattie was readmitted to the hospital. He was in terrible pain, which we could no longer manage at home. It was Mattie who elected to come back to the hospital, as he did not feel comfortable at home. Which should give you a good indication for how miserable Mattie felt. Pictured with Mattie is Jenny, one of his art therapists. Jenny worked very hard that day to try to engage Mattie, divert his attention, and to give him a moment of happiness with a remote controlled dinosaur. 


Quote of the day: Your instinct may be to avoid someone who is experiencing loss because you fear you'll say the wrong thing. But loss can be very isolating, and if you stay away, you will compound the loss and the pain. ~ Robbie Miller Kaplan


Last week, Peter and I attended a non-profit fundraiser. It was not childhood cancer related. Within the event was a bingo tournament. I have played a lot of bingo in my life, and I can safely say..... I have still yet to win. 

While at the event, a woman came over to our table and asked if she could join us as the event was full and there was no other table available for her. We welcomed her and chatted for quite a bit. Naturally it being back to school season, we heard a lot about her children and their schools. She asked us about our children, and I just said it was a long story and skipped over it. Since this wasn't a childhood cancer event and we were not there to spread awareness about Mattie Miracle, I did not feel it was the appropriate place to have such a conversation. 


Then we moved into the actual bingo tournament of the evening. We were all good sports about the game, as none of us expected to really win. The goal was to support the non-profit. While one game finished and a next was about to begin, our table mate said to me.... "I live a happy life, so I don't need to win Bingo." She then said, "I am sure you feel the same." Well something about that comment set me off, so I literally said.... "no I have not had a happy life" and told her that we lost our only child to cancer. She was in total shock. You know when you can see on someone's face the fact that they are replaying in their head exactly what they have been talking about with you the whole evening. I believe that was what I was observing. 

I did not say the comment to make her feel badly, but in essence that is what happened. I always land up asking myself why people think it is okay for me to absorb their conversations about their children and their life, and yet it is NOT okay for them to hear about my life. I know this is a rhetorical question, but I do ask myself this on many occasions. 

No comments: