Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 9, 2019

Monday, December 9, 2019

Monday, December 9, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2008. Mattie was home between hospital visits and we took him to see the National Christmas tree. Something Mattie always loved doing. I remember the very first year we did this, Mattie was checking out every little state tree and absolutely loved the trains that went around a track near the trees. Seeing the National tree was a family tradition, and cancer did not stop us that year. 









Quote of the day: Do not teach your children never to be angry; teach them how to be angry. Lyman Abbott


I remember when Mattie was in the hospital, I would have friends who would visit me and question why I was so angry. They weren't questioning me as it related to Mattie having cancer, but with regard to my anger at the medical staff. My anger was always warranted and I reserved it for times when I saw great injustices in Mattie's treatment and care. I specifically recall one day, post limb salvaging surgery, when Mattie was crying and screaming in pain. His pain management was poor and there were internal fights going on between Mattie's surgeon, his care team, and the medical doctor who managed the pediatric intensive care unit (PICU). The problem was with these disagreement, Mattie was in the middle of them and suffering the consequences. Mattie's surgeon wanted me to have higher doses of pain meds and the head of the PICU countered the order. I am telling you it was like watching a bad tennis match, but the only problem was the ball was Mattie. So literally that particular afternoon, I absolutely blew up in the middle of the PICU. I confronted a doctor on the team and told her this internal battle about pain med management had to STOP and be resolved NOW, because I wasn't going to take another minute of the dysfunction. My friend heard me and I know she thought I was nuts. From an outsider's perspective she probably thought I was manufacturing the crisis, because who could believe that doctor egos could get in the way of providing good care to a child? 

I think anger is one of those feelings in life that is natural and normal. As anger can fuel us at times to accomplish great things. As long as anger is expressed in appropriate ways and with the intention to creating a positive result. Such as Mattie getting the pain meds he needed. This week as we are facing issues related to the health of Peter's parents, anger once again has reared its ugly head. Mainly because Peter and his brother are not on the same page about their parent's health, abilities, and next steps. I would have to say that Peter's family and my family have a night and day communication style and therefore my direct and upfront form of communication is typically shocking for them. Yet you know how it feels when you can see a train wreck coming? Most of us want to prevent it from happening, which is what I am trying to do. However, the more that I try to help, the more it is perceived as meddling and inappropriate. A great feeling, as once again it is clear I was and will never be a part of that family. 


In any case, here is today's photo. Physical therapists got Barbara up and walking. Rather remarkable since she had major spinal surgery on Friday. 

No comments: