Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 8, 2019

Sunday, December 8, 2019

Sunday, December 8, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2008. Mattie was home between hospital treatments and we took him outside to our commons area for some fresh air. That day, one of my graduate assistants, Carrie, came over to visit us with her dog, Jax. Despite Jax's size, he was very good with Mattie. This photo captures the race Mattie and Jax were having with each other. 


Quote of the day: Frustration is an interesting emotional state, because it tends to bring out the worst in whoever is frustrated. Frustrated babies tend to throw food and make a mess. Frustrated citizens tend to execute kings and queens and make a democracy. And frustrated moths tend to bang up against light bulbs and make light fixtures all dusty. ~ Lemony Snicket

Dealing with a medical crisis is an interesting family dynamic, because people do not always unite together like in a Hallmark movie. Quite the opposite, if a relationship was challenging pre-crisis, illness is not going to make it better. Instead what you can face is a medical crisis plus intense family dysfunction. Which is unfortunately what Peter is dealing with in Boston and of course with technology, I am actually right in the middle of it. Communication to me is a big thing and I think it is important as adults that we find ways to get our points across. I become highly frustration when I am not heard, and especially when I am trying to help and instead my words get twisted and turned against me.  I will leave it at that, but simply put I am frustrated and bordering on angry. 

On Tuesday of this week, I went with my friend, Peggy to Meadowlark Botanical Gardens. Each year they do a winter lights experience in the Gardens. Where you can walk through the Gardens, and though it is cold, it can be a magical experience. Especially when it isn't crowded. 

Peggy's real estate company was having an event there, and I was invited. Typically I do not do these winter light events, because they usually set Peter and I off. Especially since this was something Mattie loved to do. But this year, because it wasn't crowded, I managed.

This is what I saw while walking down the pathway! 
Trees, bushes, and the lawn are lit up!
A garden of lights!
I should mention that along the way there is piped in Christmas music and sound effects. Like birds chirping. 
This caught all of our attention. These are lights coming down a hill. It was supposed to look like a stream.
Naturally, I stop for all butterflies.  

No comments: