Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 25, 2020

Saturday, January 25, 2020

Saturday, January 25, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken 16 years ago today. Mattie was 18 months old and as you can see he was busy playing with boxes. Which always made me laugh, as Mattie had all sorts of toys, but if boxes were around, he naturally gravitated to them. They served as the perfect building material for him!


Quote of the day: Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives. William Dement


Why am I showing you a photo of the Vatican? Well I woke up this morning from a very disturbing dream. In fact my alarm went off to wake me up and because I was too tired, I reset it. Ironically when I fell back asleep, I picked up where I left off in my dream. My dream took place in Italy, visiting a big cathedral. Not unlike the Vatican. 

However, in my dream, I was traveling with Peter and Mattie. I could see that Mattie was healthy and wasn't dealing with cancer. Keep in mind that in real life, Mattie never visited Italy. So this is not a memory that I was building upon. 

The dream had various scenes. Almost like watching a play in a way. In the first scene, all three of us were touring a big church in Italy. We were learning about the church's history and all the different parts that comprised the religious complex. Along the tour, the guide pointed out the "funeral area." An area where they stage a body before a service is performed for the bereaved family. My brain totally made this up because I have NEVER seen such a funeral area in a church. Any case that was scene one. 

In scene two, Peter and I are walking around the church, but Mattie isn't with us. Instead, church personnel approach our tour group and tell us that many of the children we came with on tour are now dead. That they are in the "funeral area" and they advised us to go back to our hotels and get a change of clothing for our children, because these will be the clothes they will be buried in. The church implored all of us to come visit our child's body immediately in the funeral area.

In scene three, I am feeling confused because in my mind Mattie is safe and couldn't have possibly died. So I disregard the church personnel. I neither get clothes for Mattie nor visit the funeral area. At this point, I don't remember what happens. I have no memory of how we got from Italy back home to the USA. I also have no idea if I realized Mattie wasn't with us!

However, scene four, I am home. We are sitting on our couch and apparently watching a documentary on the cathedral we visited in Italy. We are both fascinated by the show because we were recounting how we just visited that space months before. The problem is in the documentary, they began talking about the "funeral area." To illustrate what the area looked like and how it is used, they show us bodies in the area waiting to be processed. When I see the bodies on TV, I realize that one of the bodies happens to be MATTIE. Unlike all the other bodies which were clearly dead, Mattie was sitting in the funeral area and he was moving around and talking. He was NOT dead, and the documentary was able to prove this to me.  

It is within scene five, that I realize I should have listened to the church personnel. I should have checked the funeral area and if I had Mattie would still be alive today. Because I did not check, the church buried Mattie. I have no idea, buried alive or whether Mattie was killed. My brain did not provide more details than this, which I suppose is fortunate, given the disturbing nature of this dream. 

I am sure someone could have a field day with this dream. I do not think it is coincidental that I should have this dream now given that I testified this week before the National Academies of Sciences on the impairments Mattie had from cancer treatment, or the submission on palliative care that I wrote yesterday. To speak and write about these topics causes me to reflect back on very difficult times, and as such these emotions are reflected in my dreams. Loss of control and the inability to prevent Mattie's death are at the top of the list. 


Meanwhile on Wednesday morning, I woke up with a sprained ankle. It has swelled to the size of a golf ball. I have no recollection how I rolled my ankle to cause this issue. Yet here I am affected. I fortunately can weight bear and walk, but I am limiting the extent of what I do. 

This afternoon, we took Sunny for a walk on Roosevelt Island. Sunny was the one who spotted two white tailed deer. 
The deer are acclimated to visitors on the Island. For the most part, they don't move, but instead watch you as you watch them. 
Can you see two deer? One is popping up her head on the right (near the log) and the other one is in the left foreground, quite visible. 

No comments: