Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 30, 2020

Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2008. Mattie was in the hospital and received many gifts from friends. Christmas stockings, a magnetic Santa for his wheelchair, a Christmas blanket, and of course a Christmas decorated Dunkin Donut! Despite all Mattie was dealing with, he was still able to smile, and we worked hard to keep him comfortable and as happy as possible. What we quickly learned from Mattie's diagnosis and treatment was that we had to live for the present. Forget the long term plans and looking toward the future. 




Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 19,722,442
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 341,964

Given that yesterday wasn't a good day, it was hard to be in a positive mood today. In addition to all the other things to manage here, I had to add garbage removal to my list. Typically the gardener takes all three trash bins out to the street curb for trash pick up. This is crucial because it is a 500 foot walk from their front door to the street curb. It would impossible for them to roll these heavy garbage bins on their own. 

Any case, yesterday I noticed all their neighbors' trash cans were outside at the curb, yet my parents trash cans were not taken out. So I mentioned this to my mom and my dad's caregiver. As I thought their trash pick up day was Wednesday. However, my dad's caregiver (the same one who yesterday insisted I needed to clean inside the kitchen and bathroom trash cans) assured me I was wrong and said trash pick up is Thursday. In any case, this morning, while walking my dad up the street for his 20 minute exercise routine, I noticed all our neighbors' trash cans were emptied, because guess why??? The garbage trucks came by TODAY! ON WEDNESDAY!!! This may sound like NO BIG DEAL, but remember I wasn't in a stable place as of yesterday. The fact that we missed trash pick, sent me on a tirade! As our trash bins were overflowing already and there is NO WAY we'd make it until next Wednesday. 

So I ran back to my parent's house and quickly called LA sanitation. Fortunately I was connected to a lovely man, who literally sent the trucks back to my parent's house. But I had to take all the bins out myself! Therefore my question is what's up with the gardener? If he planned on taking this week off, which is fine, telling us would have been helpful, so that I would have known to put out the cans on Tuesday!

My mom's friends dropped these cuties off to me today! She makes the best gingerbread, and its funny how these little fellows can bring a smile to my face!
Peter's mom sent me this photo of Sunny! Apparently they went for a walk with him, and he came back, helped himself to the couch, and took a nap. 


















Holidays are always problematic with caregivers. For the most part, I try to be flexible, because I know people have lives and families of their own. I asked my dad's caregiver about New Year's day, as I assumed she was working on Friday with us. But I learned today, that she has other plans. What would have happened if I did not ask her? When was she going to tell us? Meanwhile, both of my dad's caregivers are talking about switching days they will be working. Not what I wanted to hear! I would love for life to go back to the way it was.... living life without caregivers. However, I know that is not possible and though my dad has physical limitations, it is the great cognitive decline that makes independent living a thing of the past. 

After doing laundry, other chores, making linner (lunch and dinner), cleaning up, getting mail, and settling my dad in his chair, we decided to go out for a walk. My mom and I needed the fresh air and to clear our heads. We saw some wonderful Christmas decorations. This house reminded me of a decorated gingerbread house.


This house and the one above are on the street I lived on when I was a teenager in California. 
This house is a conversation piece! 
Santa with all his reindeer. Rudolph even had a red nose!
Light up lollipops!
Simple but elegant. 
Looked like a Christmas cottage to me. 
A tree with red and white lights. It looked like a candy cane. 
Not Christmas related, but the color caught my attention! What fabulous blossoms.... with Mattie Miracle colors! 
I love the Christmas ornaments in the trees!
Love the wreath! The one plus here in Los Angeles is that the weather is fantastic. People are out and about walking and everything is green! I don't take that for granted. 

No comments: