Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 9, 2011

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2006, outside of Mattie's favorite restaurant. It was a beautiful spring day, and in comparison to our current existence, it was a picture that captured the innocence of life without cancer.

Quote of the day: Grief is the price we pay for love. ~ Elizabeth II

Today was yet another cloudy, grey, and rainy day in Washington, DC. This weather is not helping my mood. Peter and I both spent the day working on things. I was focused on Foundation items as well as preparing for my last kindergarten art session coming up this Wednesday. While I was doing all this, Peter began our spring ritual of planting flowers. Peter bought beautiful blooming Forget Me Not plants and like last year, planted them in Mattie's honor in our balcony flower boxes.

In addition, Peter moved all the plants that were inside our home to our outdoor spaces. My living room has been transformed from a jungle of plants, back to more open space. It was actually a very freeing thing to see! After a day full of chores and work, we decided to go out to dinner. We ventured to Mattie's favorite restaurant, and to our dismay we learned the manager of the location, who we loved, is no longer working there, he has moved to the Gallery Place location in Washington, DC. Somehow this was a change that I wasn't anticipating and for some reason this upsets me because the manager knew Mattie and he helped to keep his memory alive for us each time we returned to the restaurant. Of course this will always be Mattie's favorite restaurant, but this will not mean the same thing to the new manager. Ironically this upsets me.

As we were having dessert at the restaurant, I saw Peter smile and jump up. I had no idea what he was doing, but then understood. Charlotte, Mattie's "girlfriend," and her parents were also dining there, so we had a chance to catch up and I got to hear about Charlotte's day. This week in school, Charlotte had the reverend say a special prayer for Mattie in honor of his birthday. I was very moved by this gesture and about Charlotte's memory of her friend.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I saw this in the newspaper this morning and thought of you and Mattie! Still reading the blog faithfully in CO.

The McCleary Family

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/brazil/8441253/Brazil-builds-worlds-largest-Lego-tower.html