Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 20, 2011

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2007 in Lancaster, PA. Outside one of the shops were these lovely shaker rocking chairs. I was the only one in our family who liked to shop, so while I was browsing these two fellows were rocking away. When I came out of the store, you can see Mattie was thrilled to see me. Most likely so we could move onto our next adventure. However, the look on their faces, in my opinion, was worthy of a picture!

Quote of the day: Mourning is not forgetting... It is an undoing. Every minute tie has to be untied and something permanent and valuable recovered and assimilated from the dust. ~ Margery Allingham


Today I had a workout to remember! My friend Christine introduced me to Pilates. I have heard a great deal about Pilates over the years, but this is not something I would have signed up to do by myself. It would have to be something I would do with a friend. As many of my readers know, I have established my own walking routine. Fortunately I have because if I hadn't been exercising, I could never have completed a Pilates class today. I grew up and spent a great deal of my life studying the art of dance, ballet to be specific. Dancing has always been an exercise that interested me. Well moving around to music in general was right up my alley. I LOVED step aerobics (which needs to make a come back!), and my mom introduced me to country line dancing, which I like too. So I mention this because the notion of Pilates was not something that would be a natural fit for me. Mainly because with Pilates you are exercising in one place and not to music.

Pilates is a form of exercise, developed by Joseph Pilates, which emphasizes the balanced development of the body through core strength, flexibility, and awareness in order to support efficient, graceful movement. One of the best things about the Pilates method, or so it is advertised, is that it works so well for a wide range of people. Athletes and dancers love it, as do older adults, women rebounding from pregnancy, and people who at various stages of physical rehabilitation.The top benefits of doing Pilates exercise that people report are that they become stronger, longer, leaner, and more able to do anything with grace and ease.

Christine and I had an hour workout today using an apparatus called a REFORMER. I included a YouTube video of a brief Pilates Reformer class so you could see what this is like if you are not familiar with it. It may look easy, but I assure you it isn't. I discovered muscles I never knew I had today, and in a way the exercises get you to stretch your body at the core. So I could see over time this would help someone develop better posture and less back and neck problems. After an hour though I had had it! The true test will be what I feel like tomorrow morning trying to get out of bed.

I enjoyed learning a new technique, I enjoyed being able to connect with Christine, and I look at this experience as doing something positive for myself and my health.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybaFLXy5bSg&feature=related


I want to introduce you to my newest friend. He is a cute white and brown guinea pig named JoJo. Each day this week, I visit JoJo around lunch time. JoJo belongs to Katharina, who is away with Tanja visiting family. JoJo hasn't been feeling well and while they are away I have the opportunity to get to know this furry friend. My lifetime friend, Karen, had a guinea pig growing up. She was attached to him. His name was Oreo, since he was black and white just like the cookie. I did not share her love for this furry creature at the time, but after Mattie I have mellowed. He appreciated all animals, and as I am getting to know JoJo, I find he is a very sensitive and cute fellow. A fellow who LOVES cucumbers. I have nicknamed him the cucumber monster! Despite not really knowing me, he trusted me enough to come out of his tunnel to eat a piece of cucumber (which I am holding in the picture).

It is 10pm, and I just received a text message that Peter landed safely in Washington, DC! I know he is exhausted and will be working hard to get back to living in the Washington, DC time zone again!

No comments: