Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 24, 2014

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2007. Mattie was five years old. This was the summer before he was going to enter kindergarten. It was a very exciting time in his life. Things were just starting to come together for him. He mastered so many things by this point, and no longer needed occupational or speech therapy. In fact, if you asked his kindergarten teachers, they would never have known Mattie had any issues as a toddler! I credit that to the early interventions I got for him! Therapists who were part of our lives for two plus years! They worked with me and Mattie on a weekly basis and Mattie really was a champ! In this photo Mattie was at the LA Zoo and having a great old time! It was hot that day and he insisted on getting this water spray bottle and fan. The irony was Peter loved this item as well!


Quote of the day: Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. ~ Albert Einstein


My mom and I started our day out by walking! Something we tend to do each morning that I am here. The weather has been glorious since I have arrived. Sun each day. Not something I am used to in Washington, DC for sure! Sun is never a guarantee, what seems to be a more typical occurrence in DC is grayness! At all times of the year. Which can impact one's mood for sure. 


We drove to Calabasas today. It is located in the hills west of the San Fernando Valley and is a city in Los Angeles County. When I was growing up in LA, my parents had a friend who lived in Calabasas and it wasn't unusual for us to visit this city. Back then the city was really under developed, now that has all changed! We had lunch at a cafe called Marmalade! Marmalade is located by this charming fountain filled with turtles! A place Mattie would have absolutely LOVED! People were out and about walking their dogs today, dogs of all shapes and sizes! 

The fountain is absolutely charming! It even has a statue of a Little boy in a row boat in the center of it! A site that I particularly love!



The turtles capture every one's attention! Both young and old! They are very photogenic and I am not sure what is more entertaining the actual restaurants, stores, or this fountain!!!


After lunch we strolled from store to store. I have visited this outdoor shopping complex with my parents several times before. In one of the stores we have gotten to know the store's manager. She is a lovely young woman from Connecticut! She happened to be in the store today and even though she doesn't see me often, she remembers me as I remember her. For some reason I sensed she wasn't having a good day. Yet the greeting I gave her, the comments I shared with her, and apparently how I made her feel seemed to perk her up and it helped to turn her attitude around. It wasn't my goal or mission going into the store, but leaving the store, I was happy that I something I said could make another person happier. 

This evening I baked macaroons for my mom's friend who isn't feeling well. Apparently this woman is a macaroon fan! So we decided to make her homemade cookies and mail them to her tomorrow. A coconut special delivery is on its way! Signing off for tonight!!!


No comments: