Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 20, 2016

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2005. This is another great photo that I literally just found in our on-line photo gallery that we maintain. Thankfully it was there because it is no where to be found on my computer. This photo was taken at one of the themed parks we took Mattie to while visiting my parents in California. The irony is at the time this was just cute cut outs of sunflowers. But now, after Mattie cancer battle, sunflowers mean a great deal to me. They symbolize love, community, and compassion. How I arrived at that notion was because Mattie's care community gave me lots of sunflowers through Mattie's cancer journey. We couldn't have flowers in the PICU of the hospital, but whenever we were home, I was always surprised with a bunch. This photo captured my ultimate sunflower.... Mattie. 


Quote of the day: In my garden there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers, and the dreams are as beautiful. ~Abram L. Urban


Our hibiscus is blooming today. The irony of this plant is it looked practically dead this spring. After winterizing inside, we brought it back outside for the summer and I literally chopped the plant way back. Apparently it responded to this dramatically. The plant came back with a vengeance. I bought this plant last spring at home depot. I remember talking to their plant expert there and this particular woman worked in Hawaii for years cultivating hibiscus. She helped me pick this one out and told me that the purple flowered hibiscus are rarer. It is simply a beautiful plant that adds to our garden. 

There are wonderful lessons one can learn from gardening. Lessons that apply to our every day world and lives. There is something to be said for nurturing something, because most times.... you get a response. The ironic thing is the response goes two ways. Certainly in this case the plant is growing and thriving (which is positive for the hibiscus) but on the other hand, seeing its beauty gives us great happiness and hope. 

We started growing string beans from seed about a month ago. Our plants have been great producers and we had a whole bunch of them for dinner last night. They have a much more tender skin than what you buy in the super market. 
I love banana lantanas. Lantanas are hardy plants and when things start dying off in our garden at this time of year (because of extreme heat), they get replaced with lantanas. 
Check out the progress on our carrots! You will notice a piece of wood to the left of the carrots. This is one of Mattie's claimed pieces, or prized findings along one of our nature walks together. There are many items on our deck that came from our Mattie walks and they remain a part of our deck today. 
I love our Black Eyed Susan. She is a courageous plant! She remains outside over the winter, but every spring, she surprises us with a great come back. I haven't had the best of luck with perennials, but this one is a keeper!

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki,
I love your blog, every line of it! Nature is a way to soothe so many life issues. I never really saw it this way. Through your blog and descriptions, I have come to realize, there is much more to that little saying, " take time to smell the roses." Whether the real intention of that saying was something else, it clearly says to me, peace and calm can be found in Nature.
You quote speaks to me personally. I created my garden to Kimber while walking through the Merrifield Garden Center on April 1. At first, I thought it would be one specific plant but when I realized, the flowers chosen were either Orange, the Kidney Cancer color & yellow for Sunshine, the whole garden had a new meaning. Surrounding, the flowers are seashell from the Atlantic Ocean as well as the Pacific Ocean, gift from you, for the garden.
As always, your Mattie picture adds to the thoughts, I carry about Mattie, you & Peter. The description of all the beauty found there enables me to know your garden would be a happy place to sit and find peace.