Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 20, 2017

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2005. Mattie was inside one of his favorite museums, the George C. Page Museum. This museum is in Los Angeles and it features amazing specimens of dinosaurs excavated from the tar pits right outside the museum. Mattie really grew up with this museum, and never got tired of visiting it and learning about how these prehistoric animals got trapped in the tar pits or observing researchers digging through one of the tar pits under exploration. 


Quote of the day: Many of life’s failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. ~ Thomas Edison



We left this beautiful site today! The last time I visited Palm Springs, I was a teenager. It is amazing how different times in your life enable you to see places in different ways. I loved the beauty of Palm Springs and though Los Angeles has mountains too, the terrain in Palm Springs is quite different and you can get so close to the mountains. You almost feel like a part of them. 

 This is a typical street you drive down in Palm Springs. The stark contrast of the palm trees against the mountains is incredible. 
This was the hotel the conference was held at! Notice how the hotel is surrounded by mountains. 
The lobby in the hotel had this lighted floor display. Literally it would change colors throughout the day. Mattie would have gotten a total kick out of this!
If you haven't figured this out, I was enamored by the mountains. 








Thankfully we got back to Los Angeles today safely. However, when we returned home we went out for a bit and I noticed the car next to us trying to get my attention. Since the light was green there wasn't anything I could do about this, other than when we parked I got out to examine the car. What he was trying to tell us was that the car had a flat tire! What a good samaritan. So happy it did not happen on the highway in 110 heat! 

This evening, Peter and I are taking my parents to Bistro Gardens to celebrate their anniversary. It is a special restaurant that we try to visit on special occasions!

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki, I absolutely love pictures of Mattie where you are holding him. These especially catch my eye because I love pictures of moms/dads holding their childre even as they are growing and could be standing next to us. The why of this is physical contact is so important. The more chances we have, we should always take.

I am glad you & Peter celebrated your Parents Anniversary with them! Seeing pictures of them makes me happy. Meeting each of them at the two walks left warm feelings.