Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 22, 2017

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 -- Mattie died 414 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2005. Mattie was three years old and we took him to Legoland in San Diego. I think Legoland was one of Mattie's favorite theme parks. Mattie LOVED to build and create with Legos, from a very early age. So a whole park geared toward the Lego affectionato was right up his alley. In fact, Mattie got a Legoland "driver's license" there. A clever item, as Legoland will sell you one right near their Lego ride-on cars. As Mattie got a little older, his next favorite thing at the park was roller coasters. Which was another thing we differed on, as I wouldn't dream of going on a roller coaster, nor have I ever been tempted to go on one either!


Quote of the day: Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. ~ Joshua J. Marine



While we were away, Sunny sent to Dogtopia for boarding. This was Sunny's fourth time staying at this facility and I have to imagine each time he goes, he is getting accustomed to the process. But more importantly understands that at some point we are coming back. 

There are many things I like about Dogtopia. First of which is it is a very clean facility. This is very important given the number of animals visiting the rooms daily. In addition, the facility makes sure that dogs visiting or boarding are up to date on all their vaccines and care. To me this is equally important to assure Sunny's health. But I love how the staff text messages me updates daily about Sunny and when I am in doubt, I can just look at their webcam remotely to see how Sunny is doing for myself. 

I can always tell how comfortable Sunny is by his lying down position. When anxious, Sunny doesn't rest or lie down. But you can see him in this photo relaxing on a cot!

Of course Sunny never passes up the opportunity to interact with a human. When the human leader in the room stopped doing chores and sat down, he hopped off the cot and made a B-line over for attention. That's my Sunny! 
This morning Peter went to pick Sunny up from Dogtopia. Look at this happy puppy in the car! You can just tell he was excited to be back in the car!  










Compare the photo above to this photo I took of Sunny on September 2, 2016. This was the day we picked Sunny up from foster care. Look at how sad, anxious, and thin he looked! It is hard to believe that in almost two weeks time, we will have owned Sunny a full year. 
Sunny is home and has taken a seat in the kitchen! I have no doubt he was looking for me and curious to know when the special treats and snacks will be showing up! So happy Sunny got a good report card from Dogtopia and is back home. Yes I know I haven't mentioned Indie!!! 

Indie is truly a very easy going gal! The vet's office loves her, gives her freedom from her cage while boarding, and frankly is a different temperament from Sunny! She is flexible, adaptable, and not an anxious type. So I really do not worry about her as much. Though I was happy to hear the good feedback Peter received about her from the vet at pick up today. 


1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki, I was so glad to see the picture of Mattie at legoland. Learning from you, his love of lego's, it was the perfect place for him.

I love all the pictures of Sunny. I really like all your updates about him & pictures, especially when he is not with you! I relate more to Sunny so while he is your dog, I too, can see an enormous difference in a year. His anxiety seems non existent when he is with you!!!
Indie on the other hand has an independent personality. Probably their differing personalities is why they get a long so well!