Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 21, 2017

Monday, August 21, 2017

Monday, August 21, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2005. We took Mattie to Los Angeles to visit my parents and together we all traveled to San Diego to see the sights. In all reality, it did not matter where we took Mattie, because each day was an adventure. It was just how he viewed and interacted with the world that made him so curious, engaging, challenging, and as a result never boring to be around. 


Quote of the day: Every noble work is at first impossible. ~ Thomas Carlyle



Last night, Peter and I took my parents out to dinner to celebrate their anniversary which was on August 14th. When all four of us get together, it is a good reason to celebrate. The beauty of Bistro Gardens, is it is a lovely, soothing, and elegant garden atmosphere to have dinner. 













Peter few back to Washington, DC today. On the way to the airport, he text messaged me that I could see the solar eclipse happening today! I figured we would see NOTHING in Los Angeles. Though we did not get complete darkness from the totality, it was clear something was happening. With Peter's text, I went outside my parent's house and looked up into the sky. YES I know, not what I was supposed to do. But I really looked at the sun through my phone and only stayed out a short period of time. Actually at first I thought the sky was just hazy or smoggy. But upon closer examination, it did seem odd. Because it looked more like dusk out than morning. Given how far up in the sky the sun was, the dim lighting didn't make sense. Well that until you factor in the eclipse. A solar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes between Earth and the Sun, thereby totally or partly obscuring the image of the Sun for a viewer on Earth. A total solar eclipse occurs when the Moon's apparent diameter is larger than the Sun's, blocking all direct sunlight, turning day into darkness.


Again, from the front yard I could see that part of the sky was indeed darker (right upper hand corner). The previous time a total solar eclipse was visible across the entire contiguous United States was June 8, 1918; not since the February 1979 eclipse has a total eclipse been visible from anywhere in the mainland United States. The path of totality touched 14 states today, although a partial eclipse was visible in all 50 states. 

Below are the photos NASA captured today.......The Sun disappeared, seemingly swallowed by our Moon–at least for a while. This series of images shows the progression of a partial solar eclipse near Banner, Wyoming.
I can't imagine seeing this sight, nor can I comprehend how frightening this must have been for people to see in the past. Prior to understanding the phenomenon of an eclipse, I would imagine people thought the world was ending. 
Though this looks like a crescent moon, this orange orb is actually the sun being obscured by the moon. This takes Mattie Moon to a whole other level!
I know several people who chased the eclipse today and wanted their children to experience this incredible act of nature. All I know is if Mattie were alive, Peter and and Mattie would have joined in this phenomenon. It is funny how even an incredible act of nature can bring about sadness to us. Sadness which Peter verbalized. I absorbed what he was saying, but while going through something, I typically have NO reaction and NO response. Not sure if it is safer this way, or simply the best way I know to protect myself. Nonetheless I did hear Peter and I know he wished things were different for us. Without Mattie in our lives, it does alter the activities we do or don't do, and our willingness to engage in the world. All I know is whether ever Mattie is, I have no DOUBT he watched his Mattie Moon transform our daytime sky! 

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki, We did see what was happening in OC from our balcony. It was amazing. Ken commented on the way home how scary, it might have been in the way past for people, not knowing, thinking something terrible was happening. I was watching FB posts for awhile and thought about the parents who weren't able to share this with their child. Since,, I now think MATTIE MOON, of course, I thought of you & Peter. There is no way to make this grief go away! I am very aware that this is another event you .& Peter missed doing with Mattie!